First catering style cook...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1

Senior Cook
For mother's day this year, I cooked two butts on the UDS for her and her neighbors. It was a large group dinner with her and all her good friends... Everyone raved about the pulled pork and it disappeared really quick. I got a phone call from one of the families that was there and they want me to provide some BBQ for a party they are having next weekend. All I know is that I am suppose to stop by and pick up about 20 pounds worth of Botston butts at the beginning of the week. That should give me the majority of the week to get everything ready, inject with Kosmos, and then rub the night before....

As stoked as I am about being recognized for good BBQ, I'm a little nervous about doing so for such a large group of people that I don't know... Any suggestions or anything I need prepare for..?!?! This is the largest cook I've ever done at once.

I do backyard gigs up to 200. You'll be fine, keep in mind shoulder yields about 50% so if you want to serve 10 lbs you'll need 20 lbs of uncooked shoulder. If its sandwiches or you have a lot of sides or chicken etc..figure 1/3 lb cooked per person. That means 20 lbs will shrink to 10 lbs and feed 30 people etc.... always put your cheapest food at the start of the buffet. Eg. rolls, baked beans, potato salad, slaw, chicken, shoulder.... Lastly if your picken em up at the beginning of the week check that code date! I get my food at the last minute to insure it's fresh! Friends and family always love your food but nothing feels better than strangers tellen ya your food is amazing!!! Have fun.

I agree with Tri-Tip here, I wouldn't get the butts that far in advance unless you have an extra fridge to store...get those day of the cook or night before for prep.

4 butts should ocver you w/ some leftover! EASY!!

I ended getting the BBs on Monday night and they were all frozen... They just finished defrosting in the fridge tonight and I injected them with some Kosmos. There are 3 butts at 7-8 pounds each. I also made a few batches of Wolfe Original rub to use... I am going to rub them down when I get home from work tomorrow night and then wrap them up till the morning. Since they want the BBs around 2-3:00pm on Saturday, I guess I'll be firing up the UDS around 5:00am.

Greg - I do have an extra fridge and freezer in the garage just for storing things like this. Keeps me from freaking out about cross contaminating with other foods in the fridge.

I'll be keeping everyone updated over the next few days... Thanks again

I like to cook my butts a little longer...have had some that 6-7 hrs that they are still tough
prefer 10-12 + hr
I like the overnite method....with my smoker....4 or so hrs b-4 bed time pour the smoke to them....wrap or pan (i use 2 old hotel pans) & cover fill the wood box...nite nite.....
LOL get up to pee bout 5 am..drain some fat, stoke fire.. to bring too 170 f....
while im havin b-fast
bout 8,9,10 am......
then let rest/cool....chop with my dough chopper.& pan or put in crock....easy to reheat...jmo

Attachments

• pan3.jpg
    pan3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 665
So everything went really well with the cook this weekend... Here are some pics from the process.

I ended up getting a Weber grate because the cheap BigLots grill grate was bending with two butts on there... The sun was just starting to come up when I pulled the UDS out the garage...
img_220817_0_4785eb025f5a9c409668007fedec2d91.jpg

Got the UDS fired up...
img_220817_1_07dd6e30dbb3c5140e6dfc1cca924ac3.jpg

Got the BBs on...
img_220817_2_f75fd8ce0322bce83a33aa46ef4de021.jpg

Here's a sneak peak...
img_220817_3_5903577c51363a45981c3e8deac7fe26.jpg

This was right before I foiled them at 175 degrees...
img_220817_4_be6eafda25ed9ff01af730d3a4e00fc8.jpg

I put them back on the UDS and let them cook till 205 degrees.... Everyone really loved the pulled pork. I helped with throwing a great World Cup party.

That looks really good Jester. I just ate a pulled pork quesadilla: I'm stuffed and I would eat a plate from your fixins as well. Nice job!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom