first butt this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordon1

Senior Cook
I got a small one, about 4 1/2 pounds. doing some other stuff as well. anyway my plan is to do rub and maybe spray with apple juice/jack daniels and put on a nc vinegar based finishing sauce. or should I inject and or mop?? I'm wanting to keep it pretty simple but want a good flavor. any suggestions would be great. doing it on a offset and not a weber so I made my own post instead of the putting it in the "butts on sale thread"

I did the baffle mod and the chimney mod.

now a question for those with the mavrick et73. for the smoker temp do you use the included clip and just set it on the grate so the actual prob is a inch or so off?? seems like the metal clip will generate heat and cause it to read high.

Well, I have done some podcasts recently with guys/gals who have been very successful with injecting...during competitions. The salt water rally brings out the taste of the butt for the judges.

However, when pressed if they inject for themselves...they don't.

So, I'd say try it injected and then next time un-injected...decide what you like! ;)

I would keep that lid closed as much as possible.
When I do a butt on the CG I sometimes spray with ap, but I only open the lid enough to get the sprayer in.
If your going to inject I would try Chris Lilly's injection, It has worked out good for me in the past.
Glad to see you did the other mods and keep us informed how everything goes.
Good luck 8)

Puff said:
I would keep that lid closed as much as possible.
When I do a butt on the CG I sometimes spray with ap, but I only open the lid enough to get the sprayer in.
If your going to inject I would try Chris Lilly's injection, It has worked out good for me in the past.
Glad to see you did the other mods and keep us informed how everything goes.
Good luck 8)

I use Chris Lilly`s injection all the time Hey it works why mess with it and I use apple juice for a spray as well if needed ???

Foil wrap 8-10 bricks and line the bottom of that CG. That is an easy one that gives you that little extra heat stability.

MOD's are for people who are never satisfied so bbq people fit right in to that catagory.

I know that there are people here who have drilled holes in there $$$$$$ pits trying out one mod or another.

I have a WSM on order and when it comes in, the first thing I am going to do is drill a couple of holes in it. :LOL:

Nope fire bricks(Like the ones they use in fireplaces).
You can get bricks that are already split in half but if not do what I did and split them yourself.
Wrap them in heavy duty foil and like Cliff said and line the chamber with them.
Slide 3 into the charcoal grate, set it all the way down and line 3 more up on each side. They really hold the heat ;)

went on around 11

img_82000_0_32d47ba13a86b7d2be841fbaa3cceca4.jpg

it's holding steady at 150. smoker at 240 give or take. isn't the plateau temp 165? this thing been at 150 for a while. where do y'all check the temp at? I was told under the blade bone. that's where it's been since it went on.

I stick it right in the meaties part I can find, all the way to the bone then back it off a 1/2 " or so.

On one that small I might would cosider running the probe with the bone, that is if you are using a digital therm.

You are ok with the stall, dont sweat it.

Gordon,

I put fire bricks in my Bar-B-Chef but I didn't wrap with foil. The foil is a good idea. I didn't buy the fire bricks I already had them laying around from a welding table we used at school that we haven't used in 12 years or more.

img_82085_0_c930524b2e1522d493bbcacab4d51e3e.jpg

img_82085_1_13ed4a6a7185458a4484dad239ed05f2.jpg

good but not as good as I hoped. this thing took a LONG time. over 10 hours and it was only 4 1/2 pounds. smoker temp stayed between 220 and 250. I think it needed a bit longer. as soon as it hit 190 my girl made me pull it off. rested about an hour then I pulled it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom