First brisket... A few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1

Senior Cook
I've been around here for a while, but never done a brisket before. I've been out shopping around for a good brisket for this weekend, but I have no idea what is considered a good price. They seem to vary everywhere. I want a good price on a good piece of meat. Any suggestions, thoughts, ramblings, etc..?? Thanks in advance everyone.

Jester

I guess it all depends where you are. I pay $3.99 at a small, local market and I have to special order them. I can't find full packers anywhere else.

Regards,
Oak

Oak said:
I guess it all depends where you are. I pay $3.99 at a small, local market and I have to special order them. I can't find full packers anywhere else.

Regards,
Oak

Very true... I just left Sam's Club and they were $3.60 lb for just the flat. They didn't have full packers like they use to. I'm heading to Walmart and Kroger next. Thanks again everyone.

I've found full packers at the Wal Mart, but not Sam's go figure. the last I remember they were like $1.99/lb, that was sometime this summer

Keep in mind that Walmart will have a decent price on Packers, BUT they will be Select Grade.

When getting flats from costco or sams, try to get them in the Cryovac and not already trimmed

I think Walmart has stopped selling full packer briskets they not had any up here in about 8 months. The only place I get them from now is Restruant Depot, at $2.24 lb.

Walmart had full packers last night, but my timeframe for cooking is not long enough for a 18-20 pound brisket. I also checked all the other supermarkets around here and came up with nothing. I am going to head back to Sam's club after work to get a 7 pound Angus flat. I did a full circle, but I have learned a lot. I even spoke with a lot of local butchers this morning, too. I'm stoked to try my first brisket...!!!!! Thanks again everyone.

flats are easy....

cook at 225-250 til the internal temp hits 170, foil, put back on til it hits 195-200, (probes like butter) wrap again & put into warm cooler for 2 hours, slice across the grain.

I just picked up a choice 12.9 lb full packer brisket for $25 at Restruant Depot price went down from $2.24lb to $1.94 They had Choice Angus Beef (CAB) full packers for $3.09 lb. but I don't think it would turn out tasting that much better?
Full packers cook better for me than just the flats, could be the cooker,prep,cook temp,and or my style of cookin'?
Hope it turns out great for you, Let us know!

I just got a 6.87 pound choice cut angus flat from Sams. Heading home now to catch up on prep since the Boston butt that's going on with this brisket is ready and waiting. Pictures to follow soon...

I'm with Daryl. We get Choice from the Restaurant Depot. Gotten a couple of top 10 calls too. Pretty good for the price. I can't cook a flat to save my life. Dries out without the point. I figure what's the point? :LOL: I think we pay about $4 per lb. I shoot for 12 lbs. Look for good marbeling and a thick flat. I only trim the silver skin. Inject with Cosmos mixed with beef broth, Suzy Q rub and smoked at 250 with Red Oak. Fat side down (only cause we cook on UDS's, protects the meat) Foil at 160. Pulled at 195-203 (when it's done) Rests in the cambro up to 3 hrs back on the smoker out of the foil meat side down for 20 to krisp up the bark and burnt ends before turn ins.

Tri Tip said:
I'm with Daryl. We get Choice from the Restaurant Depot. Gotten a couple of top 10 calls too. Pretty good for the price. I can't cook a flat to save my life. Dries out without the point. I figure what's the point? :LOL: I think we pay about $4 per lb. I shoot for 12 lbs. Look for good marbeling and a thick flat. I only trim the silver skin. Inject with Cosmos mixed with beef broth, Suzy Q rub and smoked at 250 with Red Oak. Fat side down (only cause we cook on UDS's, protects the meat) Foil at 160. Pulled at 195-203 (when it's done) Rests in the cambro up to 3 hrs back on the smoker out of the foil meat side down for 20 to krisp up the bark and burnt ends before turn ins.

Follow this and you'll be eating some AWESOME brisket. :D I've not had Tri Tips brisket, but he and I appear to have similar techniques. Have fun with your cook! Looking forward to the updates.

So......... Here's the update.

Brisket out and washed off..
img_229272_0_2552e0463f7e0896549d746e3bc0cfc2.jpg

I injected and rubbed both the brisket and boston butt last night, but I pulled them out this morning while I fired up the UDS and added more rub.
img_229272_1_12a4514c58e08e7545a7b6caba93ecba.jpg

Tried to grab a quick picture and not keep the lid off the UDS too long... When they hit the grate, the Internal temps were 57 for the brisket and 43 for the boston butt.
img_229272_2_d0c5fdf1cf6d1b10e3fd560b9e43a12b.jpg

What is everyones thoughts on this... I just took a temp rading after they have been on there for a little over 2 hours at 225-250 and the brisket is reading 175. Doesn't that seem high for only 2 hours..?? I'm thinkin that since the probe is so long and the meat is thinner than a Boston butt that the reading is being skewed. Any opinions..!?? Thanks again everyone.

I went ahead and took the brisket out to foil it... I opened the UDS and used a different thermometer and every place I checked was over 160. I also double checked the grate temp with a digital thermometer and it matched my Tel-Tru. I can't believe it's cooking this fast, but that's what hapless with my UDS when I did my first Boston Butt.
img_229276_0_da64a5e788407146148312e47088b903.jpg

It does seem fast, but your going by temp and feel of the meat vs. time. Sometimes briskets will cook slow too. Who knows, it may stall for a while as well. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Walmart in this area normally always has select grade Excell packers in the cryo priced fairly reasonable. Kroger, Albertsons and Tom Thumb (safeway) always got em too with the grade and brand varying. I have found CAB at Kroger in the past with no boost in price but I consider it fortunant if a choice grade IBP can be located. Better hold on to your wallet. The price of meat is trending upward along with everything else we happen to need.

bigwheel

I cooked a flat and it was done in 6 hours. That was on a WSM so on a UDS that would have been like 5. Briskets (and butts) will hit a plateau. I’ve had briskets take 5 hours to go from 160 to 170. I’ve even had briskets drop from 185 to 178 for an hour with no reduction in pit temp. Always take your temps in the thickest part of the flat. Your flat can be 175 (far from done) and the point will be 205 in the fattiest part. You serve/turn in, the flat so that is what you want to focus on. BBQ has a mind of its own. It wouldn’t be unusual for it to be done that fast since it’s just the flat. Shores is spot on. Go by doneness not time. I start poking the meat at about 190, then 194, 198, 200,202, etc. The moment I feel a change in resistance eg, probe suddenly slides through with little resistance I pull it off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom