First Beef Brisket - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Cooker

First Beef Brisket

Hi Y'all, I FINALLY found a whole beef brisket. I went to a local Korean butcher to see what they had and happened to have one of these bad boys when I asked.

01 Just rinsed it and about to apply rub

If you can see, I have NO clue how to cook this thing, so if any of you are up tonight and feel like chiming in, then please do. So far I cut this thing because it seems like a thick lump on one side and relatively thin on the other side. So I didn't cut in half, but kinda close. I'll take another picture soon to help y'all out. I applied a fairly standard paste of French's Mustard and then applied the rub. Main ingredients are tornado sugar, chili pepper, hot pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic salt and Spanish paprika. Beer in the cook is preventing me from remembering what else when on it.

After cooking for about two hours, I created an injection based on one of our fellow posters (wine, better than boulion, butter, garlic, etc.) I bought a cheapie injector at Bed Bath and Beyond because I don't really cook 8 Million of these things a year. It's made of 18/8 stainless steel, so hopefully, it will hold up a bit until I can justify one of those bug sprayer-looking injector things.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
BBQ Centralite

Here is one of the first things I ever researched on trimming brisket.

This really helped me:

http://www.azbbqa.net/articles/brisket-trim.htm

www.DivaQ.ca

Life is too short for bad BBQ

Generously sponsored by:

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Alcan
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Cooker

Thanks Diva. I didn't follow those/know about that so, we'll see what happens when this is done. I'll use that next time

more pictures

002 Cheapie stainless steel injector

003 Briskets at the 3 hour mark (around Midnight)

004 Temps shortly after that last picture (3 hour mark)

Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
BBQ Centralite

Looking good so far!!!!!!

www.DivaQ.ca

Life is too short for bad BBQ

Generously sponsored by:

Traeger Canada
Hovey's Gourmet Meats
Big Rock Brewery
Basques Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Alcan
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

STOP OPENING THE LID !!!! lol..
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
Cooker

Mystery Oxygen

Well, I just pulled the little one off and its in a cooler staying warm, resting in an aluminum pan covered with foil. My thermometer (above) said 190 and several Thermapin pokings showed around 194.

The bigger (thicker) one is showing 177 (above) and many pokings show in the mid 170's for the thick part and 190 for the thinner part and some 180's in between. I also noticed pieces up close to the side of the WSM were higher than the opposite sides (touching the little piece). Hmmm. Radiant heat aiding the cook-time??? Imagine that. So I spun it around to even the internal temps out.

Well, last night for at least 5 hours, the dome temp was closer to 275 and I was cooking on the lower rack (in anticipation of a longer cook time and needing my ribs up top). This morning (2-3 hours sleep), noticed the temp with all lower vents at 0 open produced a dome temp of 225. Last night, as soon as I cranked any of these guys open a bit, it'd shoot up to 270 degrees.

Funny thing is I put more unlit charcoal (filled my WSM charcoal ring to the limit) and used 5 fairly large wood chunks by store bought standards and only used 20 lit coals initially.

Something I did wrong??? I'm so used to my temps nose diving after the initial start that I usually have to add hot ones to get the party started or look at much lower dome temps (sub 200), eeehhhh. 'nuff said. temp control in reverse last night.

I never weighed these guys, but based on the price the guy charged (it was in USDA stamped cryovac, but never had a lable indicating weight), i'd say it was close to 11 or 12 pounds, and I didn't trim NO fat off this thing.

So, my question here is.....is the 190's a good temp to take off? I know pork butt y'all have different answers, but it seems like 190-200 is ok for that and 210+ is gonna need some 9-1-1 (based on my last effort). So, is there a bunch of fat inside brisket that will help prevent similar dryness, or is the 190's ok for brisket? Also, I injected with a bunch of yummy wine mixture barely into the cook, so hopefully, that will help?

much obliged
Old 08-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Cooker

Temps calming down this morning

After taking out the one brisket, it seems the WSM's 'attitude' has subsided. Easier to maintain temps (no need to close all my vents now).

Below is my fattie. It consists of a Jimmy Dean Maple flavored sausage (I was in too much of a hurry to look for my maple syrup) and some blueberry syrup that I wanted to finish up. The rub consists of Wolfe Rub Bold. In a couple of hours, it will be added to an egg and muffin to make an EMF (Egg McFattie). Yeah, Baby!!!!!!

The real reason for this whole bbq was to smoke some pork ribs for use in my test chili. Hope it helps. The rub consists of tornado sugar, lots of black pepper, salt and lots of paprika

Old 08-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #8

Looking good so far. How about the taste? You also have to stop openning the lid so much.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
Cooker

Thanks Nick. No idea on taste yet. I'll probably chop up the done brisket soon.

Note: All that heat I had last night came at a cost: it burned up most of my charcoal thus my dome temp crossed 225 and is only now recovering since i added some lit and unlit charcoal.

Update: I chopped up the small brisket. It seemed a little dry if you slice it, but if you chop and mix it up with some of the fat, then its really good.

Any advice on how to cut up the larger piece would be appreciated. Its been cooking for 13 hours and is at 168. I'm assuming I need to cook to at least 190, correct?

After going for 3 hours at or below 225, I got the dome temp up to 250 and has been steady for the last 2 hours.

Here's some of the flat. Yummy. Not much "heat" in it, but a slight & gentle warming of the mouth and not much smokiness.

[
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Cooker

All done. I pulled the other piece of brisket off and let it stand for at least an hour foil wrapped. This one was much juicier, but it also had a lot of fat and the wine injection as well. I have now learned why you trim the fat BEFORE you put it on the bbq, altough some Texas recipe called for the trimming after the fact like what I did. Oh well, it wasn't much fun. Some of my meat came out fine and some is still riddled with fat, so I'll use it for something else. Also, my water pan must have evaporated all the water and replaced with grease, like a gallon of it. Very nasty.

This is going to take practice. The ribs came out ok, although I cut the brisket off one rack incorrectly. Oh well, that's the good thing about a sharp butcher knife? Makes cutting bones easy?

I'll post a pic of the last brisket after I had sliced it up.