Finally got my WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finney said:
Jack W. said:
This is a great starter site as well.

http://www.wiviott.com/

I find the TVWB a little confusing, overwhelming, and contradicting at times. They are a little narrow over there as well. Although, I've been known to like narrow, learning to control the unit is paramount.

Quick answers...affirmative. Correct is yet to be determined. :^o :D

Good Q!

Jack

That's just wrong. :)

I'm "bending the truth" with a smile.

I agree Jack. Someone brand new to the WSM could get a lot of help from that site. Wish I would have had it when I started.

But that kind of info is why I also send new comers to the TVWB "site". Chris has very good instruction there and give the fundimentals of how to use the WSM and instruction on cooking many meats. The place new comers go wrong is going to the forum and hearing all the different ways people are doing things. Once you know the basics, then learn the alt. ways.

That is also why I never suggest a newcomer get a Guru. You need to learn the basics first.

Finney said:
I agree Jack. Someone brand new to the WSM could get a lot of help from that site. Wish I would have had it when I started.

But that kind of info is why I also send new comers to the TVWB "site". Chris has very good instruction there and give the fundimentals of how to use the WSM and instruction on cooking many meats. The place new comers go wrong is going to the forum and hearing all the different ways people are doing things. Once you know the basics, then learn the alt. ways.

That is also why I never suggest a newcomer get a Guru. You need to learn the basics first.[/quote]

Thats the truth buddy!

I think everyone with a new WSM should read the TVWB top to bottom.
Then come back here for more intermediary and advanced questions.
Quicker response here.

Also, the guys here aren't afraid to experiment and report back their failures, which is as much a learning experience for everyone as doing it right. Also, aside from a few nasty arguments, the guys here are pretty dang funny.

Finally, I think having a site with so much diversity geographically and
with all they different types of smokers is a great learning tool, and not just for those considering buying another grill or smoker.

P.S. I also like the fact we can talk about grilling, frying and all
cooking topics instead of just barbecue.

3 chickens the first night. 2 marinated in williams/sonoma margarita mix and 1 rubbed...all three got rave reviews. thanks again everyone for all your help

temps were mid 40s. skins turned out golden...slightly crisp on the marinades, gold and juicy on thr rub.

I meant what temps were inside the pit..if you got crispy skins you did a great job.....it's a little tricky to get those in a wsm.

i did, the marinade chikens were crispy, the rubbed chicken not near as much, almost rubbery.....started out at too high (250ish) then settled it down lower, seemed to work pretty well...beginners luck that i wont be able to duplicate i am bettting

hey that temp is not too low for chicken...I shoot for 300 or higher. First time I did chicken I was amazed how smokey the meat was...and how terrible the skin was. Still, the meat alone made it some of the best
chicken I ever had. I do love that crispy skin though.

ok test run #2 , ribs and pork loin. ribs turned out perfect...loin tasted great...raves from family and neighbors...but wasnt as tender as i thought it should be...temps were around 250-260. Whats the best for loin ? whats the perfect internal meat temp as well ?

For pork loin you should remove the loin at 143-145 and let rest for about 15 minutes, this should give you a very moist and juicy piece of meat with just a hint of pink in the middle. Anything much above 150-155 and you chance drying out the meat.

Cooking dad, for better skin results you'll need to go hotter and faster, instead of low and slow. Don't be afraid to go way over 300. I agree
that smoked chicken is som eof the most awesome meat out there, but
I really prefer to grill mine to get the better skin. The Weber Kettle with
a chunk of hickory is great..a lot of smoke flavor if you cook it indirect most of the time.

As far as the wsm, some have said they smoke the chicken then finish over hi heat to crisp the skin up. I'd remove the center section and just
finish on a grate over the coals, or maybe remove the water pan and
see if you have a grate that would fit there. Open the air vents and let that sucker heat up!!

Cappie is right (for once). :)
With poultry, hotter is usually better. Weber kettle is great for chicken. Good heat and lots of room. You can get your smoke flavor by throwing a chunk of wood in (as Cappie suggested). Or crank up the WSM with an empty water pan (or no pan).
Good luck. :!:

Back
Top Bottom