Finally cookin' time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Finally a day off and time to cook! :D

2 racks of spares. One rubbed with Uncle Al's and the other a mix of WRO & WRB. Made up a small meatloaf wrapped in bacon that will hopefully be done in time for a late lunch.
Everything is simmering over Rancher and hickory.
Damp & rainy out. WSM is taking a while to get up to temp. I think the Rancher might have soaked up some moisture. 20 min. and it's barely breaking 170* :shock:

Better get yourself one of them 55 gal barrells to slide down over the top of that WSM. Worked wonders on my Brinkmann Gourmet elec model when it started raining on me at Thanksgiving. Old #2 galvanized washtub turned upside down over over the top works good too. Makes it about halfast insulated.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Better get yourself one of them 55 gal barrells to slide down over the top of that WSM. Worked wonders on my Brinkmann Gourmet elec model when it started raining on me at Thanksgiving. Old #2 galvanized washtub turned upside down over over the top works good too. Makes it about halfast insulated.

bigwheel
Big awning....on back of my house ;)

Meatloaf is done and spares shall be sauced soon. Didn't think there would be a smoke ring on the loaf but it made it's way through the bacon.
For the first time since I've had my WSM I had some real serious temp issues :shock: Hard getting her to temp. But once there spiked like crazy.
Had all the vents shut for about 2 hrs. now and she's still at 250* :shock:

That must have been it. I'm used to the Rancher burning a little hotter.
But man when it dried out!! BOOM!! :shock:
(I wonder if the other 15 bags I have will make it through the winter :shock: )

Puff said:
That must have been it. I'm used to the Rancher burning a little hotter.
But man when it dried out!! BOOM!! :shock:
(I wonder if the other 15 bags I have will make it through the winter :shock: )

Better start cooking more often! :shock:

Well........the cook is done. Not the best I've done, but not the worst.
The flavors of the rubs mixed with the SBR's 50/50 with honey were there.
Just a bitter aftertaste. Too much wood?? I don't know.
The racks I had weren't the best. Had some tug to them when they were done which I like ....but something just wasn't right. As I mentioned it wasn't the rubs. I've used these numerous times with great results.
:?
Anyhow....here they be.

I wonder if the bitter after taste might also have had something to do with wet charcol. Maybe it was smoldering in the beginning before it started to burn.

I had some charcol issues in the past that acted the same as you spoke...hard to get up to temp, then spikes..I think it was damp charcol...even with your issues, it still looks good enough to eat !

Thanks everyone. I had a few bones when I came home from work and the biterness wasn't there. :shock:

Cliff, I've been reading..... ;)

Back
Top Bottom