Fat cap up or down ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my next brisket, I was going to do a bunch of slits a stuff them with garlic cloves...that might also be a port for the fat to seep into...

Fat cap does not melt into a brisket, there is plenty of science out there on the subject.

Moisture in a brisket or butt is from the conective tissue as it breaks down and releases it's moisture.

Can cooking a brisket or butt fat cap up be moist sure. Cook fat cap up be moist sure. The reason for fat cap down is to use it as protection from heat as it rises in a vertical smoker or radiates from tuning plates in an offset. The reason for cooking fat side down is that it is more reliable percentage wise when doing briskets in a competition setting. You don't have as much of a worry about the lean side getting over done during the long cook or if you have a pit temp spikes.

The myth has been that the fat cap some how introduces moisture to the interior of the brisket as it cooks, it looks logical but just isn't the case.
Another myth out there is mopping will increase moisture content, again not the case but it will add flavor depending on the mop recipe.
Jim

I trim both fat cap's off pork butts so that doesn't apply and cook brisket fat side down to protect the bark for better presentation. I trim off all the fat off the brisket for the turn in box.

Rich
Sounds as if we prep butts and briskets about the same. Butts don't need a fat cap IMO, there is enough internal fat and conective tissue to keep it moist.
Jim

Where the hell you been Jim? I got called and asked to interview
Dr. BBQ last week, but then they back out! Too many bigger
markets wanted him I guess. I was pissed!

jminion said:
Fat cap does not melt into a brisket, there is plenty of science out there on the subject.

Moisture in a brisket or butt is from the conective tissue as it breaks down and releases it's moisture.

Can cooking a brisket or butt fat cap up be moist sure. Cook fat cap up be moist sure. The reason for fat cap down is to use it as protection from heat as it rises in a vertical smoker or radiates from tuning plates in an offset. The reason for cooking fat side down is that it is more reliable percentage wise when doing briskets in a competition setting. You don't have as much of a worry about the lean side getting over done during the long cook or if you have a pit temp spikes.

The myth has been that the fat cap some how introduces moisture to the interior of the brisket as it cooks, it looks logical but just isn't the case.
Another myth out there is mopping will increase moisture content, again not the case but it will add flavor depending on the mop recipe.
Jim

Hey Jim,

Been a while. Thank god you showed up when you did. I was thinking about getting up on the soap box...again.

How's the west coast goin's on?

Jack

Sorry I haven't been around, organizing 5 maybe 6 competitions this season and starting up an Events company and a new catering business.
Been crazy busy.

I know Doc is busy, to bad you didn't get to do the interview, Ray is always interesting to talk to.
Jim

If I'm cooking on a SFB without the fancy tuning plates then isn't it hotter above the grate. My lid temp is about 25* more than at grate level. In a WSM bottom grate fat down, top grate fat up because of the radiant heat? Or just fat down the whole time?

I cook briskets in the WSM on either rack fat cap up. I've tried them fat cap down on the WSM and on LuLu and vowed to never do it again. I was unhappy with my results compared to fat cap up. But again, different strokes work for different folks. No right or wrong way, just the way that works for you!

I'm doing a brisket concurent with posting this message. I have the ceramic hitecky egg thing, Fat cap up. At 6 hours I have an internal temp of 165, went ahead and foiled it up and added a little "liquid" to the foil tent/wrap/bag/enclosure contraption. I've always started fat cap up, sometimes flip at the 4 hour mark but today had a client on the horn who called long distance so it stayed fat cap up.
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
I'm doing a brisket concurent with posting this message. I have the ceramic hitecky egg thing, Fat cap up. At 6 hours I have an internal temp of 165, went ahead and foiled it up and added a little "liquid" to the foil tent/wrap/bag/enclosure contraption. I've always started fat cap up, sometimes flip at the 4 hour mark but today had a client on the horn who called long distance so it stayed fat cap up.
DATsBBQ

You'll be fine! Just let that puppy rest as long as you can before slicing, fat cap still up! Even better, after it's rested in the cooler pop it in the fridge overnight and then reheat and slice. Some of the best briskets I've done have been like that! Hope it turns out well for you!

Put some of Festus's leftover pig into some beans and popped them on along the brisket. Rest of the meal will be tator salad, pasta salad and some fried grits (recipe stolen from Alton Brown).
DATsBBQ

(This is our new method after trying various techniques this summer.)

Fat side down in a roasing pan for about the first 2 hours. Then Flip.
Cook fat side up rest of cooking time, adding beer as necessary.
When meat gets around 150-165, we put foil over the top of the roasting pan. (This has averaged around 6 hours with the 12 lb briskets we have been cooking lately.

We cook on a reverse flow homemade smoker on a trailer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom