Fancy Briskets are you in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a hard time believing that ANY BRISKET IS WORK 96.00 FOR A 16 LBS. brisket...you can get the same results with a local brisket as long as you cook it LOW and SLOW and save yourself about 50 bucks...lol

Thom Emery said:
I have been trying not to do this
But after tasting the Brisket at the Trigg BBQ Class from
http://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/meats/st ... isket.html
I am going to have to at least try it

I hope you do try it. I've had Wagyu/Kobe-style steaks and they were delicious and worth the price (I didn't cook as recommended I grilled them over mesquite, very good).

Good luck ! I've been wanting to do a brisket for a while now but the only thing I can find in this town is "Extra Trimmed" 9-10 lb. pieces....

Thom if you pay the $96 plus shipping, I'll cook it and let you know how it was..........that nuts. BBQ is supposed to be 'taking a cheap tough piece of meat and making it tender and moist'. You can grill that brisket and it would be tender........No offense to your post, I'm just saying......Puff told me to post this.

Thom, I'm sure you know I did not tell Lawrence to post that. He must have forgot his meds today. Interesting and thanks for posting it.

Well do have to take a tip of the hat to the Triggs. They was amongst the first of the wave to figger out it was purty easy to head up North and pick on the cripples. lol

Thom

I have been tempted by the Snake River version of the same thing. Sometime later this season when the ice goes away I'm going to pop for a couple.

well this is my theory for competition cooking. I live in a geographical oddity, 1 hour from anywhere in any direction. When buying meat for a comp, I would have a minimum of 3 hours of time and 8 gallons of gas in brisket alone(can get other 3 meats local). at $15 per hour and $3.85 per gallon plus $60 for 2 choice briskets, paying SRF $160 for 2 Waygu briskets is not a bad deal. NOW, 2 weeks ago i cooked several briskets for friends, couple guys found some at the local china mart on sale for $17 each. They were good, thanks to me ), but I could tell a difference between the 2. Waygu is definitely better. But who am I...... Plus last year, I sold a wore out gun that cost me $50 to a yankee for over $500, that bought me a lot of waygu briskets! :mrgreen: :LOL: :twisted:

I'm a huge believer in the fact that although for many meats, the preparation is most important.

HOWEVER, I've had excellent luck with Wagyu beef briskets. There is just a different, more pleasant flavor there. I bought this one recently, and my friend was nice enough to put it in her smoker for quite a while. Buy Full Blood Wagyu Beef Online | HH Wagyu

The result was delicious! I highly recommend shelling out the extra cash if you have it. What is the point of working like crazy if you can't treat yourself once in a while, right?

A couple of years ago, we cooked a Waygu brisket, a Certified Angus Beef (not to be confused with plain-old Angus) brisket and a brisket from Wal-Mart side by side. All about 12 to 13 pounds. All were trimmed and seasoned as close to the same as we could. In the end, the CAB won out. The Waygu had a little better flavor, but the mough-feel was off, king of greasy, like you might expect from cold brisket, but it was still hot from the smoker.

We decided that if the price was close enough, we'd go with the CAB, but if it was anywhere close to double in price, the Wally-World brisket was very good. For competition, we'd probably go with the CAB, and unless someone else was buying the Waygu could stay where it was.

The group doing the tasting was new competition cooks, seasoned (and some very successful) competition cooks and varying degrees of experienced competition judges. The samples were served "blind" so that we didn't know which we were tasting and our "scores" were written down and then discussed.

Hope this helps.

BOB

I have a Hard time justifying $3 plus a pound for Brisket given the amount of fat I trim.....Put me down with Hawk and Larry.....just one more reason to be thankful I never got into comps....
dj

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom