FAB B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boar_d_laze

Senior Cook
FAB B and FAB B Lite are mostly ways to get a variety of posphate compounds, beef flavoring, papain (Adolf's Meat Tenderizer) and MSG into meat. The phosphates do what brine does -- hold onto moisture. I've never used FAB B or FAB B Lite, but have fooled around with phosphates -- especially tripolyphosphate. Which is most of what makes FAB work.

All of which is a way of saying the apple juice and beef sounds wretched. I use red wine, double strength beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, butter and seasonings in my brisket injection.

Like I said, FAB B and FAB B Lite already come with the buillion cubes in it. So you don't have to worry about adding beef. If you want to get an idea of what your mixers are going to taste like in the beef. Make some bullion and flavor it with your proposed mixer.

Some guys use beer,
Rich

AlabamaGrillBillies said:
I know you have probably discussed FAB products in general before. I have a specific question for you FAB users. Those of you using FAB B and FAB B Lite, what are you mixing with for an injection. I was thinking about using apple juice and then smoking with a combo of hickory and cherry. I'd love to hear what you guys are using and any results you've had, good bad or indifferent.

Welcome to the board AGB! Umm, I've never used Fab products but most people tend to use fruit juice and/or water. You want to avoid adding anything with additional salt in it.

I use Fab B all the time in competitions. I mix it as Joe describes in his directions. For the liquid I use organic chicken stock with a little beef soup starter and a few other ingredients. I stopped using beef stock because I thought it had a metallic, tinny flavor.

Looking forward to seeing Joe Ames at New Holland this weekend, he's a great resource for anyone who smokes meat or makes sausage.

I've used Fab quite a bit. My personal favorite for brisket has evolved or maybe devolved into using Fab P which is the same basic mix as Fab B but without the beefy overtones and darker color. Have mixed with water and apple juice and couldnt tell much if any difference twixt the two in the finished product. Tell ya whut I have done which I thought was an improvement was to add a small can of pineapple juice to the normal water ration. Coming out with maybe 1/3 pineapple juice and 2/3 water. Seems to tender it up and make the fat lines break in irregular patterns. Normal routine I got into prior to giving up on comp cooking was to shoot it up with the Fab P water and pineapple juice blend..give it a rub and let it set for a few hours on the counter slapping it around occasionally to get the FAB P dispersed whilst letting the brisket come up to room temp then onto the fire. Try to follow the same basic game plan with butts too.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom