experiment:Smoking is smoking & Grilling is Grilling so I - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Baby Back

experiment:Smoking is smoking & Grilling is Grilling so I

tried both with the same cut (maybe I should put this under both headers LOL). I aways wanted to do a good 'Baltimore pit beef'. but with my gas grill, it never worked out right. so this is what I tried. I bought a piece of bottom round from the Sam's, maybe 4-5#, put in on the Traeger, not so much for the smoke as the slow cook, at 225 for around 2-3 hrs.

then I put it on the gas grill, set as high as I could get it 500+, just to char the outside a little, left it on there until I thought it looked done enough on the outside. I sliced if for sammy's. Came out pretty good. It does have a little smokey flavor to the beef, but it was very tender, sliced okay even though it was warm. A good horseradish sauce made it great!

final product here, after I eat about half of that SOB!!
[/img]

sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: experiment:Smoking is smoking & Grilling is Grilling so I

Good job Sluggo. Looks delicioso. Now kindly scuse my ignorance on this issue but have heard on fairly good authority them pellet poopers can get hotter than a two dollar pistolo if a person is so inclined. Why not just dance with who brung ya as in smoking it up for a while then flippy da pellet auger over to high speed? Enquiring minds need to know stuff like this. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #3

JB makes something like that.. He says don't over cook it or it is shoe leather... Slice thin and enjoy... Looks yummy Slugger
surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Baby Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Good job Sluggo. Looks delicioso. Now kindly scuse my ignorance on this issue but have heard on fairly good authority them pellet poopers can get hotter than a two dollar pistolo if a person is so inclined. Why not just dance with who brung ya as in smoking it up for a while then flippy da pellet auger over to high speed? Enquiring minds need to know stuff like this. Thanks.

bigwheel
well I thought about that, but the temp on the cooker high says 450, on my grill it says 600 and I know I have pegged it higher then that before. I wanted real hot to put some char on it, fast, so it doesn;t get over cooked. that's why I went with the gas. well that and when I crank up the Traeger it burns off all that other stuff from butts and ribs etc and it smokes like an SOB, so I wanted to be good to my neighbors!! but thanks for the idea, when I get up the nerve I am try!! (do you think I should burn that stuff off anyway??)
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Well yessir on the burning up the crud. That is the only way fat lazy boys do it I think. Now I woulda swore my old chum who cooks on and peddles the Traegers tole me he could get the one he uses up to 700. In fact he says it makes a lot mo betta grill than a smoker. It dont get stuff smokey enough to suit him. Course he is an old offset log burner boy at heart. His strategy is to let it smoke without any heat for a few hours then start turning up the dial. Gets purty close using that strategy seems like.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote