Eric's first overnighter - Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rematch next year, Bill? Amy's ready for one right now. Of course, she hasn't been up all night.

She wants one every quarter. Quarterly cook-off with a grand champion. <not likely to be us, unless i bring a beer buddy that does something unthinkable to someones' wood supply>

Eric, honestly.......everything looks great!!!!
Those Egg Mc Fatties look real tasty!!
Great job dude :D

Thank you. I think the McFatties were a little on the salty side because they started that way and I had salt in my rub. Next time, I'll omit the salt in the rub for these things.

Ribs seemed a little hard on the outside and a little chewy, like they may have been overdone. What I was trying to experiment with is to avoid foil to see what happens. Bill was so kind to show me what it can do (make really tender fall of the bone ribs). I thought I could improve on that and I did. They are now dry, overcooked, a little tough. Just like what I'm used to :)

I definately did not oversmoke them. I tasted the left over brisket that we cut off the ribs from a few weeks ago. I foiled the ribs but not the brisket and the 5 apple chunks gave it a pretty intense smoke (for what apple can do), strong, but not offensive like the time I over did the hickory the week before. I didn't really have a chance to taste the ribs I cooked a few weeks ago, so I have no reference for how much smoke they absorbed in the 4 hours they weren't in foil (compared to the brisket that I left on..and on..and on all unprotected). This time I used 3 large chunks of cherry and a few medium chunks of apple.

That said, these ribs could have used a little help, like be taken off sooner, get some sauce on sooner, apple cider spray a lot sooner, foiled (even for a little bit).

Now, the bark (can I say that about the ribs?) did seem to be more tough than when we used foil, but this may be a bad thing.

Amy ate a rib and thought it wasn't bad, and she doesn't like pork a whole lot, so I took that as a compliment.

Well, I got to see what happens when you do the 7-0-0 no foil what-so ever and forget they are there until you need to take something else out. My badd!!!!! I just assumed they'd be fine. I had temp swings at the dome from 200 on the low end to 287 and spent most of the time around 250 or higher when the ribs were in. The butt had 6 hours of 237 at the dome plus the rib problem, so no telling what it will turn out like.

I took the butts off. Smaller one was 219 and the bigger one was 192. I guess I should have watched that a little closer too. They are both relaxing in foil in an ice chest for about another hour until i have some sauce to whip up.

One thing that did turn out ok, is that I got a new knife (Wustoff Classic 6" cleaver). So we'll see if that can chop the butt better than her santuko knife. Now I just need to buy a plastic tray so I can chop it up.

I'll take pics of it and the boneless/skinless chicken I'm doing for Amy.

Cliff,
Surely, you're not asking me to illegally send hazmat through the mail are you? I don't know if they have a 'bad bbq' detector yet.

Were they good? Ribs are/were. Gave one rack to a neighbor who liked them and ate 1/2 rack (waiting for the other part to warm up in this tiny toaster oven). So I'll post the other pictures tonight. The ones from yesterday when I was taking the ribs and butt out and chopping up the butt. Notice that I have NO Presentation skills I wouldn't know one if it lept up and bit me. Now, at least I could have busted out some of Amy's finest All-Clad. Then it would have been more pretty. The main thing is what about the meat.

The butt was decent. The one I pulled out at 192 was more tender and moist than its smaller brother that suffered me pulling him out at 219. I unwrapped the smaller one for a few minutes to get his temp down to 208 before letting them both rest for 2 hours when I chopped them up at 150 degrees. Not much juices in the alumin foil. I had them in the smoker in foil for probably their last 2 hours.

So, this brings me to my last question on this thread for anyone who wants to answer: If you are having a hard time with temps and you 'accidentaly' leave your butt in the smoker for 14 hours, when should you have foiled them? My butts were in the 150 range FOREVER and then shot to 170 and stayed there Forever. Some point in the early 180's I foiled them and had success. I'm guessing that my temp control problem was half the issue and i could have foilded them sooner and pull them between 190-205. I'm guessing one was around 6+ and the other was 7+ (so next time I should weigh them)?

Lastly, I'll be making sandwhiches of the butt probably starting on Wednesday, and i'll be eating them for a week. Any suggestions are appreciated. I did make some sauces yesterday, and that should be a good opportunity to use it up along with Amy's previous sauce.

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed reading this, answering a few newbie questions and seeing my pictures. Been much fun, and maybe next time, I'll get my neighbor involved (to supply the beer).

I'm getting to be dependent on foiling. I have done it every time once the meat hits 165 and foil with two complete tight layers of heavy duty foil and then set in the disposable aluminum pans that catch anything that could possibly drip out if the foil tears in handling.

I am still learning but it always takes me longer then I expect to get to 165 and usually need to really push up the temps in the last two hours. I always plan to have them rest for 1 hour before pulling. This at least has lead to consistant great results both in cooking time and not drying out the meat.

Chiles

WildFireEric said:
Cliff,
Surely, you're not asking me to illegally send hazmat through the mail are you? I don't know if they have a 'bad bbq' detector yet.

I take that back. Ribs were great. Heated them up at work in foil drenched in some St. Louis style sauce. Ever heard of Super Smokers? They aren't bad. If I have any more ribs, I'll finish them up at work. Otherwise, we'll dig into the butt. I have at least 5 bags in the freezer and 2 in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice on the foiling. I was concerned that if I cook for 14 hours that it would cause damage to the butt. For example, at least the foil will catch the drippings for later incorporation into the chopped meat. Right now, its going to waste in the water pan, unless you have some scientific way to recover it.

I did not trim ANY fat on these bad boys. I only scored them the way Bill showed me and it almost rendered completely away. I cooked fat side up the whole time. The little that was left went into the whole mess I chopped up. Perhaps its a little dry because not much fat left? We'll just have to compensate by adding a spray of my apple cider/gentleman jack concoction or some extra bbq sauce?

About to leave work. Will post the last pictures later tonight and forever end my '1st overnight bbq with butt'.

Here's the final photos:

21-1. Let the carnage begin. Actually, this butt broke in half just lifting out of the pan.

22. Close up of my new Wustoff Classic 6" HackMaster cleaver. Yeah baby!!!!!!!

23. Not sure if this was butt #1 or #2. Note some nice smoke ring, although I thought cherry would have made this meat a little more red or pink. Any comments?

24. Must have been the larger butt due to juices. I removed this from the smoker at 192 (less fortunate other butt was at 219 OUTCH!!! :(

25. More

26. Ribs

27. Da end. If you noticed NO CHICKEN, then stay tuned for Grilling Gone Bad or WildfireEric can't multitask on the grill.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":2cng7k4z]Great looking pork!

Taught him everything he knows. ;)[/quote:2cng7k4z]

Bill, you may want to consider a disclaimer when I post the burnt chicken breast pictures :) However, your reputation with teaching me pork is safe for the moment :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom