Easy things to smoke for a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWJR40

Senior Cook
I'm a newbie and just got finished with my first smoke. I did a chicken and it came out well but a little dry. Im looking for my next thing to try that is an easy short smoke.

Water

Are you using water in your smoker? I have had great sucess with making sure that I have enough water below the meat so the whole smoker is very moist. I know that some use sand to stabilize the temp, but I prefer water.
IMHO, that makes for a very moist and dependable smoke.
Happy smoking

Yes I have a Brinkman Gourmet water smoker. I made sure about keeping the water pan full. I think I just cooked it to too high of a temp.

perhaps you were right and just took it too high. Do you know what the internal temp was when you pulled it off ?

JWJR40 said:
I did not brine the chicken. How do you brine?

Here's a recepe that I have used with great results.
2 quarts apple juice
1 lb brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, sliced thin
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, crushed
vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter

1. Combine apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40*F.

2. In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining ingredients and stir. Place rinsed, drained whole bird into the brine. Use a heavy weight to keep the bird submerged, if necessary.

3. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Remove bird from brine and pat dry inside and out. Fold wing tips under the bird. Brush outside surface with vegetable oil or melted butter.

Stuffed jalapeno peppers and smoked breakfast sausage rolled in bbq rub. You can find a lot of info on these items by using the search function. ABTs are real good. Fatties are a little rich for me but a lot of the folks on here love the cholesterol, I mean taste.

Finney said:
Pork butt is easy, but not quick.
There's some pretty good suggestions above, but I'll add meatloaf. If you like regular meatloaf, you'll love smoked meatloaf.

Yes, I forgot about the meatloaf! Smoked meatloaf is fantastic! That's a great short cook along with the fatty's we talked about last night! And John P's suggestion of sausages as well.

Do a couple Fatties, there pretty easy :!:
The Maple flavored Bob Evans is the tastiest :!:

That first Pork Butt comes in the house and the Family decides you are a BBQ GOD It was great day Spares also resulted in the same

About 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound. Mustard slather rubbed with your favorite rub. Cook until it hits 195 - 200*. Wrap in double layer of foil and let it rest for a few hours in a cooler with nespapers and towel stuffed in with it. Shred and enjoy when ready. Can be sauced or eaten naked. (The butt not you)

Nick Prochilo said:
About 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound. Mustard slather rubbed with your favorite rub. Cook until it hits 195 - 200*. Wrap in double layer of foil and let it rest for a few hours in a cooler with nespapers and towel stuffed in with it. Shred and enjoy when ready. Can be sauced or eaten naked. (The butt not you)
Depending on the butt and the pit temp, it can take longer. I cook mine at around 220º and my 7.5 to 8 pound butts take 20 or 22 hours in a WSM. It's always a good idea to start early as they can be held for several hours as Nick described.

Thanks for the help. Will my Brinkman be able to do a smoke of this length?

Back
Top Bottom