Early Morning Brisket Call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry that the bisket didn't come out. I smoked one last Friday night until 12 Noon on Saturday. It didn't have a nice smoke ring like my offset smoker gives. The brisket was 15.5 pounds before I removed about 2 pounds of fat. It still had alot of fat left. Here is a slideshow of the cook. I also had to trim the brisket because it wouldn't fit on the rack.
http://img230.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 69n68.smil

I am with Bruce. Brisket isnt my best cook by a long shot either. Ribs and butts are easy to cook compared to that piece of cow. Anyhow, I just bought a brisket, 4 butts, 4 racks of loinbacks and the grand total was $108. Thats for this weekends festivities.

Finney said:
Bruce, you're not supposed to wrap it in foil before putting in the WSM.

I always learn so much from your posts. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

hey, brisket is commonly referred to as the toughest cook, as well as the toughest meat. It's like landing a 100 pound hammerhead in a thunderstorm.

oompappy said:
So, what do you think went wrong Bruce?
At 197* that flat should have been almost fall apart tender.

The only two things I can think of is 1) the flat was not very thick, I think at it's widest it was maybe 1 1/2", and in some spots thinner than that. 2) I've had this brisket in my freezer for about 6 months, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Who knows......the Brisket God was not shining upon me.

Bryan S said:
[quote="Bruce B":etxl6oe3]2) I've had this brisket in my freezer for about 6 months, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Bruce, I had a flat get lost in the freezer for 2 years and cooked it up. :eek: It came out fine so don't think that was the problem. =P~ Probably just had a brisket from a tough old dairy cow. :badgrin:[/quote:etxl6oe3]
Interesting :-k
It might be a dumb question, but does it matter what kind of cow the meat comes from? 8-[

Bryan S said:
[quote="Bruce B":2gdt3j5r]2) I've had this brisket in my freezer for about 6 months, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Bruce, I had a flat get lost in the freezer for 2 years and cooked it up. :eek: It came out fine so don't think that was the problem. =P~ Probably just had a brisket from a tough old dairy cow. :badgrin:[/quote:2gdt3j5r]

Probably from my wifes side of the family! #-o

Back
Top Bottom