Early labor day cook with my new smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
As some of you may have seen I sold my gator. It was just becoming too much for my needs. So over the past few months I have kept my eyes out for a used insulated smoker. And about a month or so ago a used stumps was up for sale in my area so I quickly snatched it up.I may also try and see if I can find a used fatboy in my area so Ill two main cookers which will allow me to try different thing with temps and stuff.

What drove me to the insulated was the ease of use and minimal use of charcoal. With the gator the at comps I would feel like $hit from feeding the fire all night. So this should allow me to catch a few zs.

I have a few racks of ribs cooking today. Two are rubbed with my rub and the other one is with dizzy pig. This with be my second cook with the stumps. The first was in the down poring rain and the stumps held up great.

Chris

Greg Rempe said:
What model is that, Chris!? SWEEEET!

Greg i believe it is a cm 223. The guy I bought it from said it is about three years old. As you can see it is not a gravity fed one and from looking on their site it does not look like they make this type any more.

Here his a pic of the firebox. From what i can tell it looks like a similar concept to the jedmaster ring of fire.

You just need some magnets for it now!!
img_163888_0_f74d8a45085402fcfc4497c8a5ffb4d4.jpg

Greg here are a few pics of the inside

This is the plate that separates the firebox from the main chamber

WHAT ?? You're supposed to feel like $hit after a comp. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Good luck with your new rig.
I'm doing a high temp/fast cook test tomorrow....to avoid feeling like $hit. 8)
Okay, we need pics of something cooked on that hummer.

Here are the finished ribs. They came out good. There are some changes Ill make for next time to adjust to the smoker but for the second time using the smoker they were not that bad.

Rag said:
WHAT ?? You're supposed to feel like $hit after a comp. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Good luck with your new rig.
I'm doing a high temp/fast cook test tomorrow....to avoid feeling like $hit. 8)
Okay, we need pics of something cooked on that hummer.

LOL!!

Good luck with you cook tomorrow. I have done alot of higher heat with the gator and I have not been able to tell a difference with my butts. Briskets I was not able to get down the way I wanted them but hopefully you will have more luck. One thing you might want to watch out for is the radiant heat on the bottom grate. I found with my gator the tuning plates gave off to much heat for the meat to handle. Plus since I was burning logs flame would some times shoot into the main chamber thus creating more heat on the bottom grate. So whenever I did high heat the meat was on the top grate. Your meadow creek may cook differently but that is one thing you may want to watch out for.

Chris, what's the temp range from top shelf to botom shelf? Also, do you put a water pain in there as well?

Greg Rempe said:
Chris, what's the temp range from top shelf to botom shelf? Also, do you put a water pain in there as well?

Greg I am not sure what the temp difference is when it is loaded up with meat but when I first got it I did a test burn with no meat and I put probes all over it and there was maybe a 10 degree difference at first. After and hour or so there was a 0-5 degree difference. There is a water pan in there as well. If you look at the pic I included of the firebox there is that box in the center of where i would put the charcoal which I fill with water. It is a little hard to see of the pic I put in of the plate that separates the firebox from the main chamber but there is a hole in the center of it where grease is supposed to drip into that water pan.

Chris

Great looking bones Chris!
Bummer about the Gator. I think we saw the Gator here when you first bought it.
Good luck with the Stumps. 8)

Thanks for the well wishes for the new smoker everybody.

Puff I remember when I got the gator I posted pics and stuff here. For an offset it was a nice set up but feeding it logs every 1/2 hour was just becoming too much for every cook. I would like another offset some day but it would have to be in addition to enough insulated cookers to accommodate my needs.

Tannehill Kid good luck on your search if you find on in your area make sure you act on it quick because this style of cooker seems to go fast.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom