Dry Brine Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Its not burned

Senior Cook
Not sure what to do, looking for some thoughts.

I picked up some 'Rub Some Butt' mustard-vinegar based rub the other day to try as something different. It's pretty salty just doing the wet-finger dip. I'm concerned that if I dry brine the butts that get this rub they'll be salty as all hell.

Following Meathead's advice, I eliminate the salt from my home mixed rubs to compensate for the dry brining. Obviously can't do that here. I am thinking that I might just use half the recommended amount, cut it 1/8 tsp/lb and do it 36 hours in advance to let it get in deep.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Do you really need to brine? The only thing I have ever used a brine on was ham. But that is normal when you are making your own ham.

I brined some ribs once using some new method. Involved salt, water, etc. The ribs were so salty they were virtually inedible. I stopped brining anything until I ran into this method, it really seems to work. Just a 1/4 tsp. per lb. of meat, rub it in the day before and wrap. Cut it in half for ribs because of the amount of bone. I do it when I'm prepping the meat, it doesn't add more than a few minutes.

Tonight I'll prep my ribs, remove the skirt meat, pull the membrane, etc. and dry brine then cover in plastic wrap. The butts will get cut down to 4-1/2 or 5 lbs., the excess fat cap removed, and then dry brined and wrapped.

Although I think I am gonna' take your advice and skip the brine for the butts that get this new rub. I am afraid it'd be nasty.

Exactly what I did! I used the rub as a brine the night before, then dusted it again in the morning. Worked like a champ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom