Dr. Pepper packer (High temp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
I tried a Dr. Pepper marinade on a 13 lb. ish' packer brisket. Let it soak overnight then injected it with straight up beef broth. The rub was salt and pepper and a bit of magic.
I couldn't get the WSM to go above about 300* so it took about 6 hrs. the flat is now resting and the burnt ends are still cooking.
From the little taste I tried I am really excited about the finished product. Juice was squirting out everwhere when I separated the point!
I haven't had much luck with these tough SOB's but this one might change all of that. :D

img_168609_0_378ebcc295741870606d6b989bdb860e.jpg

img_168609_1_13cb627f44537a83029ce8e4cdaba0a6.jpg

img_168609_2_224c974f5c9faf69a5ef9180e5804dbc.jpg

img_168609_3_179e2a5c03d52f2321971bdf443e6cec.jpg

img_168609_4_511778dea237244629168edd8c1c0648.jpg

I think I'm gettin' the hang of this tough ass hunk o' beef.
Brisket was juicy with plenty of flavor. (No thanks to Dr. Pepper :roll: )
Thanks Scotty for the high temp tips. ;) Thanks also ....uh ......damn I can't remember his name right now. I think he has an internet radio show or sumpin' :?

img_168615_0_b6dff463654eea773fcbe9cd8bd87435.jpg

Wow, it really looks juicy. Was this you first high temp brisket? I've never tried it, but have been giving it some thought.

Griff said:
Wow, it really looks juicy. Was this you first high temp brisket? I've never tried it, but have been giving it some thought.
Thanks Griff. Yep it was my first high temp brisket. The WSM never really got up to the 350*ish' mark so I'm not sure if it was truly a high temp cook but came out great none the less. I was going to cook it low and slow but.......well....gotta' late start. :oops:
Seems to work great though.

Perfect!

All I used to cook were high temp briskets. Old Grandad pit just wouldn't get below 300 even with every hole plugged with foil. I'd let them go for about 3 hours as far away from direct heat as I could then wrap them until they were tender.

Now I got the fancy Stumps with lots of gadgets and ALL of my briskets are not even close to the juicy ones I grew up with off Old Grandad.

I am striving to duplicate those memories using the Stumps and I'm getting close.......

I'm a firm believer that the meat has to 'see the fire' in order for it to be the best.

Well guess ya know my old bbq Mentor and surrogate Daddy from Glenrose, TX named Belly Maynard come up with that Dr. Pooper deal. He also the one who started the tall tale about the left and right handed briskets. He had a great Dr. Pooper brisket down at Meridan one year but it would not form a smoke ring. Always blamed it on the Pooper but it might been something else in it. He put Wooster sauce and stuff like that with it. A soak in wooster will kill a smoke ring each and every time.
Looks like you got a good ring on yours. Good job!!

bigwheel

I did my second comp on hi heat and took a forth out of 79 teams at Dover. I'm sold on it and the butts love it.

Rag said:
I did my second comp on hi heat and took a forth out of 79 teams at Dover. I'm sold on it and the butts love it.
I'm going to give them a try next. Any tips?
Awesome score Rag! Congrats!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom