Doing a brisket and two butts today with guru

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Susan do you have any problems finding briskets in "Northern Virginia?"

If it weren't for Sams and Walmart here, they'd be almost impossible to find.

I find I can order them at the local butcher shop if I give them 3-4 day notice. I like to do packer cuts though because of the "volume of meat per square inch of cooking surface" factor. Problem with packers is, you really only get good smoke penetration on one side. Woody

That's a girl Suz...way to get the motivation to BBQ today!! $4.98/lb WOW...I think me and Woodie pay $3/lb or something like that at the place we use in Mentor, Ohio!

Hope it goes well...coffee, oil, beer...might have to try that as a shot here after 12pm!! :bar: :smt078 :faint:

Just leave your friends shotgun out there...Maybe your neighbors will take care of that alarm for you! :-D

john pen said:
what does the term "packer cut" refer to ?

John, whole, untrimmed brisket with the "point" still attached to the "flat". There is a layer of fat twixt the two that helps keep the meat juicy. The point has a higher fat content and tends to fall apart when done. It is better for chopped beef where the flat is best for slicing.

Susan- that VSG is an ASS-KICKER. Sit down when smoking it! One of the stronger cigars I ever smoked!

Greg, $2.99 /lb at Barb and Patties! Got flats at Sam's for $ 1.56/lb last week.

You guys get flats at Sam's for $1.98? Damn, the cheapest our Sam's has ever had them was $2.98 and usually they are in $3.59/lb range.

Another source to consider also; if you are friendly with any rest./bar owners find out where they order their meat from and see if they would allow you to add some things to their next order. I found a restaraunt in town that the guy is letting me order butts and briskets through him.

$1.08/lb Butts $1.18/lb Brisket Case Price

excellent Bruce! Hey, that price was way lower than normal at Sam's. Normally, it is $2.50 or around there!

Susan, I've never had a problem getting my Guru into "Good Neighbor" mode but many people have ~ What steps did you use this time to master your neighbor pisser offer?

Back
Top Bottom