Decision 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Backwoods Fat Boy or a Competitor,
or a Medium Spicewine

In no particular order of preference.

Peter said:
A good start, for sure ..... I owned a small Klose mobile a few years back and am still kind of partial to the way they cook but with the weather we get here (today is +4C with a chance of snow), I don't want to build another shed to put it in.
I don't believe I have ever seen a Spicewine. Is it an insulated cabinet smoker?

Yes it is, here's a link:

www.spicewineironworks.com

Backwoods are also insulated cabinet smokers...you also might want to look at Stumps as well. Fast Eddy FEC-100 is insulated and pellet driven.

The WSM does fine in cold. I cooked briskets at -20*F in the Frozen Few virtual competition on a WSM. I use it all winter here in Alaska. But wind will kick its butt.

Peter no i havent cooked on one yet but I have only heard good things.

Build a wind shelter like mine. Then put the duct insulation in it. That helps out huge.

:)

Peter said:
At my age, sometimes I would like to just put the meat on and go back to bed.
:LOL: :LOL:

Well, you might consider a Big Green Egg. It works well in the cold as well. I can get 15 hours at a consistant 275 on one load of lump when I am cooking butts or turkeys. I don't have to watch it, it burns generally the same way every time.

Griff said:
The WSM does fine in cold. I cooked briskets at -20*F in the Frozen Few virtual competition on a WSM. I use it all winter here in Alaska. But wind will kick its butt.

Yes, wind kicked my ass at Chesapeake hence me asking about a product like this (and luckily a few people responded by recommending this):

http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCar ... roduct=205

I plan on trying this out on my WSMs.

Peter said:
I'm about to close the deal to sell my catering trailer pit and retire to being a backyard cook.
We live in a cold climate (we had a bit of snow this weekend). I am looking to get a home -sized cooker and am having a great deal of difficulty deciding which one. Klose BYC, Stumper, FE, Traeger, .... the list is endless. I have a bullet, a big grill and a small offset but need something family sized and serious for good Q.
Lets have some advice ..... thanks

Get them all, I did.............just have fun with them! I also added a Backwoods Fatboy, it's shipping today. The Primo's are great too!

Peter said:
I think I have a local (100 miles away or so) supplier for pellets so that may not be a big issue. I would prefer to use wood and charcoal, of course.

Thanks all for the excellent input. Its good to get a fresh perspective now and again.

Pellets are 100% wood, Peter! You can save lots of money if you go in with one or two others and buy a pallet of pellets! Good luck with your decision. I'll take pellets over charcoal any time!

I'm so confused Kloset !! I thought you said charcoal for heat and wood for flavor?So are you now saying wood for heat and flavor :shock: ..course we be working on a curve seein as pellets
aren't really wood. :roll:

Also confused that Peter who lives in a 2 billion acre forest and the advice is "pellet cookers"? chitcoal cookers?sheeeeeessh i live in the middle of the most pc tree huggin city and burn wood only and no ones the wizer,i just don't look at the signs posted on my way back into the city hauling wood,something about some ash borer crap beetles they imported from china so bbq'rs pay tax for pre burnt overpriced tasteless coal that gives ya gas.any questions?

Keep this up and i'm leavin again. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom