Crispy chicken skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Two suggestions for crispy skin.

1. Either cook in the 350* range from the beginning
2. Smoke as usual and pull off 10* before they reach your done temp and finish over direct heat.

Chicken skin is alot of competitors "achilies heel"! Good luck!

Brine, 300-350 Cooking Range, Oil and Lemon Juice, Last Minute Grill Marks if Needed.

I Grill Chicken at a low temp as apposed to smoking at a high temp.

peace

Best chicken skin I have run into come off birds and/or their parts which have been cooked slow direct on a rotess. Makes the skin the way it outta be. Clamp basket(s) which mount to the spit rod work well for splits and parts.

bigwheel

Crispy skin is a function of heat and humidity. Low temp (slow smoking) will not get it for you. Good with the 300 and see if that gets you what you want.A few tricks are adding oil to the skin, separating the skin from the meat (a good way to get seasoning under the skin and on the meat), and air drying uncovered overnight in the fridge.

http://www.kfcchickenrecipe.com/kfc-cri ... ecipe.html

Let me readjust my view here...no matter how hard you try, your skin will NEVER be crispy...as soon as you drop the top on the Styrofoam container it will lose the crispiness! Your best bet is to achieve "bite through skin" and not worry about the crispy part!

Well the key is here of course right before turn in time to throw it a fryer. I have thought many times of trying this just aint quite got around to it yet. Might take a little expurimentation for the comp boys to learn how much charcoal it take to get to frying temps. In fact back in a previous existence as a dirt dauber welder I had this guy keep pestering me to build him a charcoal fired deep frying rig. It was 3 stackable rings of large bore pipe. Bottom ring was the base second segment was where the vents and charcoal was located. Top pot was where the grease went. The top two pipe segments had bottoms. He claimed to know a guy who had one and you could fry up every fish in town with that arrangement using up only about 5 lbs of kingsford.

bigwheel.

Well I aint sure why. Doubt they nag if you want to finish on a grill in a Sams pan with some grease.

bigwheel

Smoke em then toss em on the grill fer a spell, that'll crisp up the skin. May not look purdy for comp but it'll sure taste good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom