Creole Smoked Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BeeRich said:
Because I can't have that much soaked wood chips on a fire. Soaked woods only smolder.

The turkey was great. Just black. The skin was fine, but just dark. There was nothing wrong with the bird. It was just dark. I was asking you about the colour of your bird. Did you use any wood?

Top vent is always open. Bottom three were open as well, to get the high temp.

Bingo, STOP soaking your wood and switch to dry chunks. That will make a big difference. Wet wood smolders, dry wood burns. Smoldering wood is bad, burning wood is good and burns clean.

Well I aint good at reading spread sheets but think I seen the word Cheery wood on there. If so knock it off. That will make your stuff blacker than a black cat eating likkorish in a locked up coal car on a moonless night at midnight. Lord gave us that stuff for making furniture and eating cheeries etc. Also great advice from Mr. Bucket Head. Save the soaking routine for gasser fodder.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I aint good at reading spread sheets but think I seen the word Cheery wood on there. If so knock it off. That will make your stuff blacker than a black cat eating likkorish in a locked up coal car on a moonless night at midnight.

Cherry wood will not make your food black unless it's not burning properly, same with anyother wood. You can smolder white oak and it will make your food black.........

Cheery do not need any smoldering excuse to turn stuff black. Got in a big brawl er I mean disccusion on this very topic one time maybe at the Widder Basso's place. Think the jist of the conclusion is if you want to use a little in a big offset it dont hurt too much...but when you start doing the direct to semi direct routine with charcoal and chunks with or without the optional water pan it will give problems.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Cheery do not need any smoldering excuse to turn stuff black. Got in a big brawl er I mean disccusion on this very topic one time maybe at the Widder Basso's place. Think the jist of the conclusion is if you want to use a little in a big offset it dont hurt too much...but when you start doing the direct to semi direct routine with charcoal and chunks with or without the optional water pan it will give problems.

bigwheel

Jeff, Jeff, Jeffy..........now you're talking out yo Fout Wurth poop shooter....offset, grill, or smoker makes no difference if used properly.

Here are several examples of cooking with cherry wood as well as the present cook;

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3
Example #4
Example #5

You sure you ain't talking about that Texas shit, I mean Mesquite?? Or maybe you tried cedar or pine with bad results!!! :LOL: Maybe the Warden should pick your wood chunks for you......

Well I could show you my brisket and rib example if I had been hard up enough to take a pic of it. You coulda made a white mark on it with a piece of charcoal.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I could show you my brisket and rib example if I had been hard up enough to take a pic of it. You coulda made a white mark on it with a piece of charcoal.

bigwheel

Well...........I hate to say it but that's the difference in the 'Cooker' not the wood. Did you use lighter fluid to baste it too??
The Warden better start monitoring your cooks or your likely to kill someone. :mrgreen:

The Bird looks perfect Larry, Tip, try Slap Ya Mama instead of Zat's. It has less salt so you can use more of it, you'll get a extra flavor zing/kick from SYM's other ingredients.

I stopped using Zat's & Tony's about a year ago, I'll never go back either.

007bond-jb said:
The Bird looks perfect Larry, Tip, try Slap Ya Mama instead of Zat's. It has less salt so you can use more of it, you'll get a extra flavor zing/kick from SYM's other ingredients.

I stopped using Zat's & Tony's about a year ago, I'll never go back either.

In this particular usage, I wanted he extra salt since I was brining. I don't have Slap Yo Momma around here......but if you decide to hook a brotha up, my address is on the Wolfe Rub Bottles......... :LOL:

Aint been no lighter fluid on my premises in years. Now back to the Cheery wood debate. I think you answered the question near the start of the thread when you said Cheery would turn stuff black if allowed to smolder. Well I think when a person fires it up and locks up some in a limited air intake environment as is commonly done on the upper end water smokers it will be ghuaranteed to smolder and turn stuff black. Other woods can over smoke the meat but it takes Cheery to turn it black. Oak is the only safe bet in such scenarios.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Aint been no lighter fluid on my premises in years. Now back to the Cheery wood debate. I think you answered the question near the start of the thread when you said Cheery would turn stuff black if allowed to smolder. Well I think when a person fires it up and locks up some in a limited air intake environment as is commonly done on the upper end water smokers it will be ghuaranteed to smolder and turn stuff black. Other woods can over smoke the meat but it takes Cheery to turn it black. Oak is the only safe bet in such scenarios.

bigwheel

Untrue on many levels.......a proper "Pitmaster" (sorry Puff) would understand the difference in burning vs. smoldering wood. If you smolder a marshmellow, it will turn your food black.. Come to reality BW.....

Ok now all you need to do to put this puppy to sleep is to make a convincing case that a tightly air regulated pit dont put any wood into a smolder if there happens to be some in there of course. A smoldering fire is what makes possible the long cook times without refueling which all the yups brag about. Simple huh?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Ok now all you need to do to put this puppy to sleep is to make a convincing case that a tightly air regulated pit dont put any wood into a smolder if there happens to be some in there of course. A smoldering fire is what makes possible the long cook times without refueling which all the yups brag about. Simple huh?

bigwheel

I thought I put the puppy to be with my examples??? All of those cooks were done with cheery wood boy!!!

I think I have solved the problem, Rich is using Canadian cheery wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Nick Prochilo said:
Ok girls, let it go. ;)

Go puff on a White Owl......speaking of Puffing......I just talked to that Baker and have come to a realization I like Nick more than Puff......actually, I don't like Puff at all...he called me crippled and I just don't go for that shit.

Well it would seem exceedingly hard for anybody not to love Nick. I mean have you seen his breastes? Now I keep hearing about this Puff person but don't seem to have bonded with him for some reason. Is that a real person or maybe somebody's imaginary friend..nemesis? Swinging rapidly back to the point at hand, my Dear Old Daddy had a multitude of favorite old sayings..adages..witticisms or whutever they be called. One of his favorites was...Never judge an Injun till you have walked in his moccasins for five miles. Meaning that a person who has never endured being non walkable for a lengthy time frame doesn't have much of a clue of what you and others in a similar condition go through each day. Do not blame you at all for getting hot around the collar toward them who gouge your eye and such things. If Puff was insensitive forgive him and go on with your life. It works much mo betta thataway. I read that in a Book somewhere (paraphrasing of course:) Love ya bro. Thanks for your Service to the Country.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom