Couple Brisket questions for you fellas - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
los
BBQ NOOB

Couple Brisket questions for you fellas

Hey guys,

I have a few questions for you Brisket pros!!

1) What temp is the flat when you guys take it off the pit? I've read 165 and 180...which one is best.

2) We aren't going to eat the brisket until tomorrow. What do you guys think the best reheating technique is? And what should the internal temp be when its reheated? I've read 140...is that true?

Thanks guys!!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
BBQ NOOB

Hi,

I cook my brisket until it gets to 210F. Here is how I finish it:

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/brisket.html

Steve

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve78412
Hi,

I cook my brisket until it gets to 210F. Here is how I finish it:

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/brisket.html

Steve
Why don't you leave it on the smoker to finish?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Im a between 180 and 190 myself...As far as reheating, Im a fan of the microwave. If I find my brisket to be a tad dry, I make an au jus and warm it in that. Those that vac seal like to boil the bags in water to reheat. I also reheat my vac seal bags in the microwave
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Couple Brisket questions for you fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by los
Hey guys,

1) What temp is the flat when you guys take it off the pit? I've read 165 and 180...which one is best.

2) We aren't going to eat the brisket until tomorrow. What do you guys think the best reheating technique is? And what should the internal temp be when its reheated? I've read 140...is that true?

Thanks guys!!
I cook briskets in the smoke until they hit 165, then foil and continue to cook until the temp hits 180.....at that point I begin to check for doneness every 5 by probing the meat. if there is resistance when you insert the probe, then the brisket needs to cook longer. If it goes in with little to no resistance it's done, typically in the 190 range. Each piece of meat is done and I've had them read as early as 180. Bottomline, don't go by temperature to determine doneness, go by tenderness by probing the meat.

The way I reheat if I'm serving the next day is, I'll slice the brisket after it's rested and cooled the day I cook it. I'll put the slices tightly together into a pan and then pour all of the juices from the foil into the pan and then wrap the pan tightly in foil. The next day pull the brisket out of the fridge and let it begin to warm up by letting it sit on the counter for a couple hours, then place the covered pan into a 350 oven until warm, NOT HOT. If you over heat you will have pot roast. Keep the foil on the pan until ready to serve.
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
BBQ Central Pro

chicken smoked 4 hrs? oh my
Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Graduate of BBQ Central

Re: Couple Brisket questions for you fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by los
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!!
I cook briskets in the smoke until they hit 165, then foil and continue to cook until the temp hits 180.....at that point I begin to check for doneness every 5 by probing the meat. if there is resistance when you insert the probe, then the brisket needs to cook longer. If it goes in with little to no resistance it's done, typically in the 190 range. Each piece of meat is done and I've had them read as early as 180. Bottomline, don't go by temperature to determine doneness, go by tenderness by probing the meat.

The way I reheat if I'm serving the next day is, I'll slice the brisket after it's rested and cooled the day I cook it. I'll put the slices tightly together into a pan and then pour all of the juices from the foil into the pan and then wrap the pan tightly in foil. The next day pull the brisket out of the fridge and let it begin to warm up by letting it sit on the counter for a couple hours, then place the covered pan into a 350 oven until warm, NOT HOT. If you over heat you will have pot roast. Keep the foil on the pan until ready to serve.
This seems to be the prevailing method across the four forums I read and it works well for me. There can be a big difference in doneness temp based upon the piece of meat.
Cabela gas vertical smoker
Ducane gas grill
http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
BBQ Centralite

i go to 195 -205 and they are usually done.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Why don't you leave it on the smoker to finish?
It is easier for me to control the temperature, and since it is wrapped I no longer need to burn the charcoal. In the heat of the summer, I finish on the smoker, so as to not heat up the house.

Steve
Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #10

I generally go to 200* in the thickest part of the flat, which is just where the point overlaps it.

How I cook mine

John