Corned Beef/Pastrami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Corned Beef/Pastrami

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well doin a corned beef, a chunk fer corned beef an a chunk fer pastrami.

img_180368_0_eea69bfe15c388df85301b599b5759c7.jpg

This started out at 10.66 pounds, trimmed out most a the fat an wound up with 7 1/4 pounds ta cure.

img_180368_1_194b5f59d08aed4c2c0e53a6a215520b.jpg

Here they be in the curin bucket. Now the 7 day wait!

Should be some perty tastey vittles!

Lookin' good so far HB.
I want to try making a corned beef for St. Patty's Day this year for the first time.

Hey Maynard just bag that stuff up with brine. Saves a bunch of floorspace in the walkin etc. Try double glad tall unscented kitchen trash bags but if you the squeamish type snag some retail ice bags or the Turkey cooking bags. That should work too. Save the pickle/icing/chlorine buckets for making wine. Just my .02 of course. Now just to be fair I have tried it both ways...so you can rest assured I am giving you the right poop here. Hey checked with my old Iowa chum today and tole him about the ham vs bacon thang. He wasn't overly familar with it..but said he did miss some kinda ham loaf yall have up there. He say folks flatten it out then bread and fry it and make a sandwich out of it. The restaurants all compete to see who can come up with the biggest patty. You ever heard of such a deal? If so we gonna be needing recipes and techniques etc. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well I double checked with the Iowa fella. He say the ham loaf is made like a regular meat loaf cept using ground ham and is baked..not fried. They just slice it up and put it on the sandwich. Not sure where I came up with the breaded and fried thang. Co-moonicating with folks from North of the Mighty Red River can be tough ya know?

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom