Corned Beef Brisket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
I have not had good luck with a couple large briskets I've tried, so I thought I would back up and try something small. I have a small corned beef brisket and I'm looking for ideas and thoughts on cooking it. I did look in the recipe section and did not see much. Once done I'm hoping to slice it thin and make a great Ruben. Thanks for any thoughts.

Smoking it with the addition of pepper, coriander and garlic makes it a pastrami. If you want corned beef don't add any seasoning. If you are going to smoke it you still need to soak it in water to leech some of the salt solution out.

Vermin999 said:
Smoking it with the addition of pepper, coriander and garlic makes it a pastrami. If you want corned beef don't add any seasoning. If you are going to smoke it you still need to soak it in water to leech some of the salt solution out.

Thanks John, I think I'll follow the VWB recommendation you suggested.

bbquzz said:
Inquiring minds want to know .... Once I smoke the corned beef it becomes pastrami? If I just wanted corned beef I would prepare it differently?

If you want to keep the corned beef, after you smoke it, take it off the smoker and coat it in a honey mustard glaze. Crank the heat up a bit on your smoker and throw it back on to set the glaze, kinda like with ribs. Man you will have some good eats there!

You can also get it happy with some smoke for a few hours and then finish it in a roaster steamed in the tradtional method.

Griff said:
Buzz

You asking about taking a raw brisket and corn curing it, or a commercial corned beef and smoking it into pastrami?

Check out this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19761

Thanks for the link Griff, but I am not going to be that energetic, this one is a commercial corned beef and I think for this one I'm keeping it corned beef. Not doing it 'till next week, maybe I should go get another and try one pastrami and one corned beef? I assume the stores have plenty at a good price because of St. Patrick's Day.

Nick Prochilo said:
If you want to keep the corned beef, after you smoke it, take it off the smoker and coat it in a honey mustard glaze. Crank the heat up a bit on your smoker and throw it back on to set the glaze, kinda like with ribs. Man you will have some good eats there!

I think this is what I want to do for my first time. Any thoughts on the honey mustard glaze?

Make sure it is a corned beef FLAT, don't get the point! I bought a flat and a point from Skylark(iirc) yrs ago and the flat was great, smoked. The point was so tough the dog wouldn't even eat it. Tried it again, same results. Probably the worst results I've ever had, and I suck at cook'n/smoke'n.

Don't forget the pix.

Big Al I'm guessing maybe the point wasn't done enough. I use whole briskets and haven't had any problems with the points...The point makes a killer corned beef hash.

bbquzz said:
Nick Prochilo said:

I think this is what I want to do for my first time. Any thoughts on the honey mustard glaze?

Try this
Honey Mustard Glaze

1 Cup Honey
1/3 Cup Butter
3 TBS Dark Corn Syrup
3/4 tsp dry mustard
2 TBS Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Whole Garlic Cloves
Combine all ingredients in pan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cook one minute.

Nick Prochilo said:
bbquzz said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":10d15wrm]If you want to keep the corned beef, after you smoke it, take it off the smoker and coat it in a honey mustard glaze. Crank the heat up a bit on your smoker and throw it back on to set the glaze, kinda like with ribs. Man you will have some good eats there!

Try this
Honey Mustard Glaze

1 Cup Honey
1/3 Cup Butter
3 TBS Dark Corn Syrup
3/4 tsp dry mustard
2 TBS Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Whole Garlic Cloves
Combine all ingredients in pan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a full boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and cook one minute.[/quote:10d15wrm]

Thanks Nick ... off to the store :D

wittdog said:
Big Al I'm guessing maybe the point wasn't done enough. I use whole briskets and haven't had any problems with the points...The point makes a killer corned beef hash.

Probably. I've never had hash, on the "to do" list though.

I'm also not a fan of the point anyway. IMHO it's only good for burnt ends.

BigAL said:
wittdog said:

Probably. I've never had hash, on the "to do" list though.

I'm also not a fan of the point anyway. IMHO it's only good for burnt ends.
Oh yeah the point is only good for Burnt Ends...to me those are the best part of a brisket cook

I think there was some subliminal message in TimBear's post early in February, "Smoked Corned Beef on a Beautiful Saturday," and
since then I've been thinking of a Reuben Sandwich. When I was at Meijer's and saw a case full of Corned Beef Briskets I knew it was time.

With some great advice from a number of Centerlites I was off to smokin' a corned beef brisket. Thank you one and all.
Rinsed it for two hours, draining the water off every 30 minutes.

Off to the WSM.

It actually took far longer than I thought 6+ hours, it got to 165° and would not move so I wrapped it after 5 hours.
At 195° it was like butter, so I opened the vents, took out the water pan let it heat up, ended up getting the WSM to 350° and
glazed it with the sauce Nick suggested.

All glazed up.

Getting ready to slice.

Sliced pretty thin.

It really looked and tasted great. Much better than my first two attemptes at a full sized packers.

And the sandwich I had been waiting for.

It was so good I went back to Meijer's and got 4 more to smoke and then use the Food Saver to save for later. Thanks again one and all for all the great suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom