Cool Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Smoked up some colby jack an motzerella taday. Didn't come out very dark but smells great! It's vac bagged an bloomin in the fridge fer a couple weeks.
img_210274_0_67463df51e0f79f95dd38e4bdc168b20.jpg

With used ta be cool operatin we can do cheese right now!

Gotta Love That Cold Smoked Cheese Hillbilly
& you've got the right equipment for it too!
I cold smoke mild cheddar, gouda & Farmer's White cheeses
primarily with applewood chips in the smoke generator.

8)

I've never cold smoked but I've done it hot. I make a boat out of aluminum foil the size of the cheese. Throw it on the smoker at 200* and let it go for about an hour. Then I either dip crackers right into and eat them while the cheese is still gooey or I throw it into the fridg to harden up again.

Cold smokin cheese amounts ta keepin yer smoker box temp at bout 50 - 80 degree's an addin smoke. Now that can be hard ta do in a regular smoker but ya can do it. I've seen folks use a soup can filled with chips, dust er pellets an put a 60 watt solderin iron in it ta make em smoke. Ya can regulate the smoke some with a piece a foil.

Hillbilly said:
Cold smokin cheese amounts ta keepin yer smoker box temp at bout 50 - 80 degree's an addin smoke. Now that can be hard ta do in a regular smoker but ya can do it. I've seen folks use a soup can filled with chips, dust er pellets an put a 60 watt solderin iron in it ta make em smoke. Ya can regulate the smoke some with a piece a foil.

So if I can manipulate my smoker to stay at the temp you suggested, how long do I smoke the cheese? Or does that depend on how much cheese I'm smokin?

Smokey Lew said:
This opens up a bunch of possibilities. I like the idea of hot smoking the cheese for dips. What kinds of cheese work best with different kinds of wood smoke?

Smokey Lew

Monery Jack, Mozzerella, Chedar, you name it. Apple works good for smoke.

Well the choice a wood is sorta the same a smokin meat, personal choice. I like a stronger smoke flavour so I use hickory on cheddar, motz, colby jack cause those er my favorites. Some folks like apple with the motz, I think it would get lost on a cheddar. I haven't done cheddar with mesquite yet, but is in the works when I get some mesquite chips made up.

I don't wan't the smoke to overpower the taste a the cheese but ta compliment it, but again, trial an error an personal taste is what drives the smoke.

Back
Top Bottom