Cooking Boston Butts This Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can be anywhere from 160 to 175.....just remember you'll think you're doing something wrong but you're not...this is the critical process that
bastes and flavors the meat internally.

Last Aug in a competition we had to finish a butt at 450 (hugh rain storm). It brought us a first place finish, butts are very forgiving but I would recommend 450 pit temps on a regular basis.
Jim

you could try and finish them hotter, up to about 275F

you could also wrap the butts in foil and return them to the cooker ... lot's of folks do it ... I'd rather not but it will speed things up

one more thing ... when you do remove them from the cooker, wrap them in foil and let them rest for at least an hour if possible

you need to keep them over 140F while resting, many use an old cooler and some blankets

I was wondering when you posted if you were gonna be a little short on time

if I want to remove the butts by 4pm, I start them around 8pm or 9pm (which turns into 9pm - 10pm) ... my last ones were done at 2pm which was perfect, a couple of hours rest before pulling the meat

Steve Z said:
...Question is; do I want to wrap these butts or not by 2:00? :-k

It sounds like they are 'cooked', so you could remove them, but you need to go higher if you want the meat to pull nicely.

I'd try to get them higher by opening your vents to turn up the heat and foil them and return to the cooker.

Steve Z said:
I think I read to pull them @ 190* and then wrap and put them in the cooler. Is that correct? :) 168* now.
sure 190F will work, it's a good starting point

some try to go even higher like 195F or 200F ... experiment and see what you like

I'm trying to move away from relying on internal temp as much but I will still use it as a guideline, and trying to learn what done looks and feels like

here are a couple of methods: if the bone is sticking way out or feels like it will pull free easily, or if you can put a fork in the meat and twist and the meat seems soft and shredable it is done

so maybe do a manual check at 185F internal and see what you think, if you think it is done, it's done ... and you don't have to worry about the fact it didn't get to 190F

I pull my butts/picnics at 190* regardless, double foil, wrap in a towel and let rest for at least 2 hours or more. Never had a problem.

I've had briskets I couldn't get past 170* no matter what I did or how long I cooked them.

You just learn when things are done, some you go by temp, some you go by experience.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3mqqep37]Oh thanks Mr. Moderater

Come on, I'm just trying to help Nicky P., why you wanna bust balls? Isn't that what they say in LI? :grin:[/quote:3mqqep37]

Stupid me....I forgot!

Steve Z said:
Hey Scotty looks like your turned out real well. How long did it take you to cook and @ what temp did you remove yours from the cooker? I took mine off @ 190 and only rested for about 45 min avg. I started to pull the pork (too hot to handle) then ended up chopping it. Tasted great but Wife (boss) likes it pulled better.(wouldn't dare show her your pic's). Thanks Steve :(

I don't log my butt cooks any more, but I put it on around 8 PM, The WSM was stable at 240 for the night. In the morning I had to open up the vents ...then add some more fuel around noon (it was a windy day)
Took it off at 2, when the internal was 185, I felt around with the probe and found a firmer part, so I let it go a little longer to 187. Foiled, and let it rest in the cooler for 2 hours.
When I pull, I just separate one muscle group and genty squeeze it, that gives the longer strings. I used to use forks, but that destroyed the meat too much.
Gatta do what mamma says!

Back
Top Bottom