Cooking BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I was reading something about BBQ and it stated the usually the people who make the best BBQ cooks are people that were good cooks in other areas first. I found that interesting. I know people who are all around good cooks but I also know people who only cook BBQ and they make some good BBQ. So I thought I would ask what you guys thought. Do you need to be a good cook in some other area first to be good at cooking BBQ? What do you think?

I think the same things that make a good cook are what makes a good BBQ cook...the attention to the small details is what comes to mind..

I don't think you have to be a culinary institute graduate but I think it helps if you know your way around a kitchen and a grill and know something about seasoning and different cuts of meats. IMHO, if you didn't or don't have an interest in cooking it's doubtful you'd have an interest in BBQ'ing anyway.

Ddog,

You bring up a good point -

I think a good cook is just that, a good cook, bbq or anything else. Some people have knack for it and some dont. If you think about bbq-ing it is part science and part art.

Gator

Raichlen and Flay are classicly trained...and are by far the best bbq'ers on the face of the earth. :shock: So yes, you need to be a culinary pro in order to be a truly great bbq cook.

sorry, no coffee yet this morning

Thanks Greg, you started my day off with a great laugh there!

Got my coffee, go get yours!

Would you believe the Stumps is still cooking on it's initial load. Temps are down to about 175 but we're talking 24 hours now.

Well insulated cookers are very efficient! I wonder if hooking up a Guru or Stoker would make it even more efficient?

Sorry...off topic.

I think if you enjoy making food then you can be a good bbq chef as well. If you don't like making food then you won't like making BBQ :D

Greg Rempe said:
Well insulated cookers are very efficient! I wonder if hooking up a Guru or Stoker would make it even more efficient?

Sorry...off topic.

I think if you enjoy making food then you can be a good bbq chef as well. If you don't like making food then you won't like making BBQ :D

I had a stoker hooked up to it all day yesterday. Took it off around 8 pm.

ddog27 said:
I was reading something about BBQ and it stated the usually the people who make the best BBQ cooks are people that were good cooks in other areas first. I found that interesting. I know people who are all around good cooks but I also know people who only cook BBQ and they make some good BBQ. So I thought I would ask what you guys thought. Do you need to be a good cook in some other area first to be good at cooking BBQ? What do you think?

I think that's belaboring the obvious :shock: Cooking outdoors is an extension cooking indoors. Trial & error, educating yourself on techniques and the willingness to try new things are all things that make for good cooking. Remember to remember what didn't work and don't do it again :D

I have a Fat Head of Bobby Flay on ceiling of my kitchen [smilie=a_jester.gif]

I think patience, attention to detail and the love of what your doing make a good Q'r..

A funny story...on Christmas Eve, my sister was talking about a friend of hers who makes the best ribs she's ever had. She cooks them in the crockpot with BBQ sauce and just a hint of liquid smoke !!! On Christmas day she had my babybacks done on the WSM and couldn't stop eating them. She talked about how they had great flavor and werent all mushy...I guess the point is some people just dont know any better. And my brother in law still cant understand why I waste so much time on rubs and sauce and smoking when you can buy "smoked pork" at the grocery store, nuke it and get the same results....Its all about the love...

john pen said:
I think patience, attention to detail and the love of what your doing make a good Q'r..

A funny story...on Christmas Eve, my sister was talking about a friend of hers who makes the best ribs she's ever had. She cooks them in the crockpot with BBQ sauce and just a hint of liquid smoke !!! On Christmas day she had my babybacks done on the WSM and couldn't stop eating them. She talked about how they had great flavor and werent all mushy...I guess the point is some people just dont know any better. And my brother in law still cant understand why I waste so much time on rubs and sauce and smoking when you can buy "smoked pork" at the grocery store, nuke it and get the same results....Its all about the love...

You said it, John. Some people just don't know any better. It is all about the love

There is no way anything you buy at a grocery store is better, the person cooking it is paid by the hour, anyone who cooks/smokes their own takes pride in what they do. ;)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom