cooking a venison roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
The guy I get my apple wood from gave me two of the these. do any of you guys have any idea how to do these. I was thinking of rubing them down wraping them in bacon and smokeing them at 300F I have no idea what temp to pull them off at. they are bone less and are about 3-4 pounds each.

chris1237 said:
The guy I get my apple wood from gave me two of the these. do any of you guys have any idea how to do these. I was thinking of rubing them down wraping them in bacon and smokeing them at 300F I have no idea what temp to pull them off at. they are bone less and are about 3-4 pounds each.

Chris, sounds like you have a good plan. The way I do them is to poke holes throughout the roasts and stuff with garlic, rub liberally EVOO and coat in your favorite rub. Baste with EVOO every 30 minutes or so. Pull at 140, loosely tent with foil and let rest, the temp will rise a several degrees. Slice and enjoy!

I'm doing a hind quarter this weekend myself. I plan on doing it similar to the way that Larry described. I'll probably inject it with some concoction that I'll invent on Thursday. Lard it and stuff it full of garlic and baste it with either oil and Coke or oil and Dr. Pepper with some Worch. sauce and hot sauce for a little bite. When it's done I'll pull it all off of the bone and make a stew or chili out of it. I'll most likely serve it at The Q Cup at the end of the month.

Good Q!

Jack

Thanks for all of your help guys I am going to try and do it the way larry suggested Ill make sure to tell you how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your help I did the roast on sunday and they came out great moist and tender. One of the things I did differently was foiled it when it hit 120. I also seared it quick when it was done to get the outside crusty.

Back
Top Bottom