Cookin' 1600 Lbs. of Boston Butts Tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
at church for a fundraiser. It's much harder than the work I usually do. I started doing it 15 years ago when I was one of the younger guys and we had 25 guys showing up. I'm still one of the younger guys and we have only 5 or 6 guys showing up since membership has dropped-mostly due to death.
I know we'll be eating liver mush, egg, cheese, and tomato biscuits early and food from Price's Chicken Coop for lunch so it's something to look forward to.

That's like what ? 170 butts ?

How are you going to manage that and what are you cooking them on ?

I bet you will be able to smell those butts cooking all over Charlotte.

The cook went really well. It was the best day ever temperature/wind wise and we had a few extra guys show up. BTW, we also cooked 45 gallons of sauce and 15 gallons of Brunswick stew. We use 3 double cookers made by one of the guys who helps us. We have cooked 2000 lbs. on them before so 1600 lbs. didn't fill the cookers. The guy who built the cookers was a welder/fabricator for Duke Power and knows his stuff. He makes a smaller cooker that cooks 8 large butts that I would have bought if I didn't want a pure smoker.
Lew-it's liver mush (thick cut & fried crisp) with a fried egg, cheese, tomato, mayo, and mustard on a BIG biscuit. It's sold at the Texaco mini mart right down the road. Their biggest seller is a bologna and cheese biscuit. I guess it is a Southern thing.
Nick-My 16 yr. old son and I have at least 15 film cameras but only one digital camera. That's his camera and I know what the body and lenses cost so I don't touch it. I need to get a cheap digital.

Griff said:
Wowser. 1500 pounds. I tip my hat to you.

Griff I'm sure when you read the post you were only on your first gin and tonic, but when you replied you were 3 deep..........1600lbs......not 1500lbs. Puff told me to correct you so don't shoot the messenger.

Cliff H. said:
That's like what ? 170 butts ?

How are you going to manage that and what are you cooking them on ?

I bet you will be able to smell those butts cooking all over Charlotte.

Did Puff do the math for you?? On average a butt weighs 8lbs........200 butts = 1600lbs or in Griffs case 1500lbs. Again, I am posting at Puffs request via Lazybone e-mail.

Captain Morgan said:
wow...is that for the famous Mallard Creek bbq?

No, they do a much larger quantity.
We were selling a lot of cue today and if we sell out we'll probably go back to 2000 lbs. in the fall. We are extremely generous with our portions and people appreciate the quality and quantity. You really have to build a reputation to be successful every cook. A plate consist of cue, beans, slaw, a roll, homemade sauce, and a bag of chips and it cost $8.00. I just randomly selected one of the meals I brought home and it weighed 30.7 ounces.
I put an inch thick piece of pound cake in each order I sold so my customers' orders were more than 2 lbs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom