Cook for cattlemen a success

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tannehill Kid

Head Chef
I had posted a topic a few weeks back Urgent need advice. Got some very good response in the topic and pm me too. I ended up cooking 100#s of butts and 90#s of briskets. Feed around 200 people and the response I got was very positive. Had a few people ask me for a business card and one has even called me wanting to cater or just cook the brisket for 300 people in about a month. I ended up cooking on my 20x54 Klose pit and the WSM. Cooked all the butts on the big pit and it took 15 hours til the last on came off. I cook briskets flats on the Klose and WSM. Used pecan and red oak on the butts and just pecan on the briskets.

One of the best tips I got was to vacum seal the food and heat it up at the cook site. Man was that a breeze. I would like to thank Gary for all the help and talking to me on the phone. If it were not for you guys it would have been alot harder to pull off. Once again thanks guys and gals.

Preparing the butts

11 butts on the smoker

1 of 3 pans of pulled pork

Briskets on the smoker with a few already wrapped

Food is vacum sealed

This is a pot of the homemade BBQ sauce my wife made for the pulled pork.

This is the cooker and pot I used to heat the meat up.

This is some of the meat after it was heated up and stored in a chest.

So you cooked it a day before and reheated it in hot water in the bags? I am doing something like that and like the idea. Glad you kicked butt!!!

Great Job man! Vac packing is the only way to fly if you are short of help and have a big cook. It really helps also in the way that you haven't been cooking for 12 hours prior to serving. It also keeps the meat moist until ready to serve. Just slice open an bag and dump it out as you need it.

Glad it all went well for you.

Great Job Tannehill! Its good to hear some WANTS your services too! I would have to guess feeding 300 people would be profitable. Dont forget SoEzzy has a sticky here at the top of "Catering Corner" for a bbq Planner if needed........ :D

Toby keil said:
That's a whole lotta pork and I love the shot of the six of them sittin on the smoker, I can taste em now. Nice job!
Toby there are 11 butts on the cooker. Here is a better pic of them. Also will post BBQ sauce reciepe later.

Gary in VA said:
Great Job man! Vac packing is the only way to fly if you are short of help and have a big cook. It really helps also in the way that you haven't been cooking for 12 hours prior to serving. It also keeps the meat moist until ready to serve. Just slice open an bag and dump it out as you need it.

Great point. I did an all night butt cook Sunday night/Monday morning after a comp that weekend, and it was a major hump.
How was the vac bagged meat reheated at the customer site? I need to try this.

Rag said:
Gary in VA said:

Great point. I did an all night butt cook Sunday night/Monday morning after a comp that weekend, and it was a major hump.
How was the vac bagged meat reheated at the customer site? I need to try this.

big pot o water on a propane turkry fryer... it is best if the pot has a basket so as to not let the bags touch the bottom of the pot

What was even better about the basket was being able to take it out of the pot and use my Larry Wolfe gloves to take the bags out. Worked like a charm. I'm telling you it made things alot easier.

Sounds like something easy......but, when catering folks want to see smoke and meat on the grates, rather than boiling water. I'll have to work on that....smoke & mirrors?

Where can you get Wolfe gloves/ I've heard of them. :LOL: Are they free??

Back
Top Bottom