Conchinita Pibil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K Kruger

Senior Cook
Conchinita Pibil is traditional Q--in the Yucatan. It's chunks of pork, usually shoulder, that are marinated in a spicy achiote paste, wrapped in banana leaves, and slow-cooked, often in an outdoor oven or stone-lined pit. The traditional accompaniment is pickled red onion (I had yellow available). I made the spice paste with the typical sour orange juice, then thinned it with a bit more juice, pineapple vinegar, a little oil, and a splash of water. Smoked with hickory in a WSM. Served with four sides and homemade tortillas. Very tasty.

Before/after pics:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=klkruger&password=33435333

Before wrapping it up.

Kevin, You rock dude! Real Mexican cuisine is my favorite! I spend 10 hours making Mole Negro or Manchemanteles! Grinding pumpkin seeds for Pipian. Rendering my own manteca for Tamales! Where do you get the bananna leaves? I have been wanting to make Oaxacan tamales with them. Feel free to share any good recipes! Woody

Fixed the link to include a couple other pics.

Wood--

I do the same: make all my own pastes, render fat, make tortillas--you name it. I thought I'd posted my latest mole here but I see I haven't. I will. And as soon as I can get my achiote paste recipe out of my head and typed I'll post that too.

I make both styles of tamales (corn husk and banana leaf). I grow bananas so leaves are outside the door--conveniently located next to my grill deck. If you have no source, send me an e with your address (my address in profile). I'd be happy to send you a bunch when I get back home. Might be a bit longer than that--my trees are recovering leaf-wise from last fall's hurricanes but with the rainy season on now it'll be quick.

Kevin - You are the Man! Looks great. Woodman - I'll bring all the banana leaves you want to Q-fest. By Sept. my plants will be 25 ft. tall.

Thank you--all--for the complements.

Yes, Susan, I believe your fever is back. That tomato was waiting to hit a hot, dry pan and be charred. No message--this time--in the onions; and yes, achiote (AKA annato) are very hard little suckers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom