Competition Pork - Pulled, Chopped, or Sliced - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2005, 07:03 AM   #1
BBQ Centralite

Competition Pork - Pulled, Chopped, or Sliced

Just wondering if there is any consensus out here on how you turn in your pork entry to the judges. I was watching a Paul Kirk video and he recommend sliced but then I watched as he had a heck of a time slicing it without it falling apart. I think it probably makes for a better presentation but with seven different muscle groups in the butt I can see how it would be difficult to cut. PK recoommended using a serrated knife.

Has anyone tried slicing the pork for comp and if so how did you fare with the judges (better or worse than pulled?). I assume that you would not cook it as long (170 perhaps).

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 AM   #2

The comps in the Carolina's are much more likely to use chopped or pulled. You can find sliced in some joints, but for 99 percent of people
who eat, compete or judge here, it's chopped/pulled.

Sorry I don't have any better info.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
BBQ Centralite

Thanks Captain. I'm just looking for an edge. It seems like slicing would have the following advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages

1. A little more creative presentation options
2. Doesn't take as long to cook

Disadvantages

1. Since all the fat hasn't rendered out, might be drier and fattier
2. Hard to slice without falling apart

I think a lot of this might be regional. I would expect pulled/chopped to dominate in the Carolina's. I did notice last year at the Ohio Championship that close to half the teams were slicing. Being new to competition BBQ at the time I didn't even know that was an option.

Just on a side note, I noticed that Kirk ccoks breasts (brined) in his competions and slices them two. Sauces them and fans them out for presentation. They looked great and different from the majority of entries.

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #4

how to create a great presentation is a journey that will never end...just enjoy the traveling!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #5

Kloset, as much as it pains me to say this, Ray Basso's board has "Juggy's Surveys" from time to time that show presentations at past competitions ~ They may be of help to you guys..Then can be found in the archives. #-o #-o #-o
Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #6

Kirk didn't kiss Ray's ass, so he's persona non grata.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:09 AM   #7
BBQ Central Pro

IMHO it all depends on the cut you have cooked. A turn in box should represent all parts of anything that you have produced, presented classically in an orderly attractive presentation. Sliced butt seems to do well in the northeast and midwest. I don't like the fact that you almost have to show fat in a sliced butt presentation. There is no room for fat in a turn in box. IMHO, classically, shoulder is pulled, ham is chopped and loins are sliced. In a whole hog box I try to represent all styles and textures in an eye appealing way. If you only put pulled pork in a whole hog box, don't look for big money. The debate will go on.

Good Q!

Jack
Old 09-11-2005, 06:24 AM   #8
BBQ Centralite

Jack,

I always been somewhat in awe of the guys that do whole hog. The work that goes into that is incredible and then to try and highlight the results in a turn in box is simply beyond belief! By far the toughest and definitely the most expensive of all competititon events in my opinion.

BTW what temp would you cook a butt to if you were planning on slicing it? How long should you let it rest after you pull it from the pit? Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Sic semper tyrannis!

Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
Jack,

I always been somewhat in awe of the guys that do whole hog. The work that goes into that is incredible and then to try and highlight the results in a turn in box is simply beyond belief! By far the toughest and definitely the most expensive of all competititon events in my opinion.

BTW what temp would you cook a butt to if you were planning on slicing it? How long should you let it rest after you pull it from the pit? Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
That is an interesting question that I wouldn't mind an answer to myself. I've never presented nor tried to present sliced butt in a comp. I understand it to be in the 175 range. Resting is done to keep meat juices from running out when you slice. A specific time is not as relative as would be a state of being. I'm sure Jim Minion would know the answer.

Good Q!

Jack
Old 09-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #10
BBQ Central Pro

I went to a comp this year and was able to be a judge for the "peoples choice" award. I did taste several entries and to my surprise, I didnt care for a lot of them. One of the worst pieces of pork that has every been chewed was from an entry that was sliced. Not done enough for me, and the folks that made it were really happy with it. blech. I do know that good sliced pork can be made, but it has to be done just right. I did try one pulled P sample that was unbelievable. Better than I ever made which in turn keeps me searching for a better recipe.
yada yada yada..