Competition Pork - Pulled, Chopped, or Sliced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kloset BBQR said:
Just wondering if there is any consensus out here on how you turn in your pork entry to the judges. I was watching a Paul Kirk video and he recommend sliced but then I watched as he had a heck of a time slicing it without it falling apart. I think it probably makes for a better presentation but with seven different muscle groups in the butt I can see how it would be difficult to cut. PK recoommended using a serrated knife.

Has anyone tried slicing the pork for comp and if so how did you fare with the judges (better or worse than pulled?). I assume that you would not cook it as long (170 perhaps).

Well speaking as a judge , its up to the grill captain how he wants the meat to be presented some areas are different , for myself I like either sliced or chopped pork, but I want to taste the meat only, that is whats its all about to be able to taste the flavor of the meat , the armoa, the tenderness , the apperance, and the presentation .

I went to a cook off in Bamberg South Carolina yesterday they had a hand full of teams presenting whole hog to the judges that day. They did have sliced pork ( whole hog catagory) , one was so tough I had to pull it apart with my teeth to get a sample , it was like chewing a rubber band. All of the other entries were pulled pork .

Captain Morgan said:
Funny you said that Walter, another judge told me the same thing.
Maybe we should have a team next year!

I say lets do it I am game , I am sure each of us has tons of ways of doing things on a grill that would keep the competition guessing for years LOL!! I might not have a competition grill but I can come up with other things .

Sounds like any grill could have done well there! If we get together, you're in charge of keeping me sober enough not to fall in the pit. :)

Captain Morgan said:
Sounds like any grill could have done well there! If we get together, you're in charge of keeping me sober enough not to fall in the pit. :)

Now thats a problem we might need more help cause I was planing that for myself as well , LOL. Helpers can be a good thing yes, they dont say how many folks we can have there , I just hope by next the city council allows alcohlic beverages and some music other wise its gonna make for a long night!

Captain Morgan said:
yeah, I won't be going to Bamberg till they change those rules. Did they police it real hard?

That I don`t know never asked anybody about that . That`s what happens when they take the fun out of it Ligon said he was going to work on that for next year seesms the mayor and the chief of police had no problem with it , was the city coucil that had the problem with loud noise and drinking so clse to homes near there, but I know most of the ones that live near by would join in on the fun .

Captain Morgan said:
You better bring the Guru. If we all pass out, that may be the only thing that saves us! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these Gurus work. I might make the investment if I can see the advantage to it.

See ya!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":t17pnz98]You better bring the Guru. If we all pass out, that may be the only thing that saves us! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these Gurus work. I might make the investment if I can see the advantage to it.

See ya!

Jack[/quote:t17pnz98]

Not planning on using it this weekend, but I will bring it. If it starts looking like we need it... it will be there. :!:

Back
Top Bottom