Comp Chicken ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I am curious as to what the difference between comp chicken and regular back yard chicken is ?

Is there a difference in method ?

Brine ?

Marinade ?

I know folks try to pin the ears back so to speak with toothpicks.

Just wondering.

Double dittos..thanks for the great info. Reckon this same procedure work just as well on splits? Thanks.

bigwheel

Yet another "Minion Method." It's a well known fact in California comp circles that Jim invented fire.

I can dig it about the chicken.

As far as the re-heating, I think it may have more to do
with being out of the smoke during the re-heat process.
I'm always amazed how much smokier the flavor is the next
day, but I suspect it has more to do with me being in
the smoke all day cooking and getting somewhat
de-sensitized.

boar_d_laze said:
Yet another "Minion Method." It's a well known fact in California comp circles that Jim invented fire.

And don't forget it! :roll:

Jumpin jim is from Iowa I believe, he was the man on the Competition circuit for a while in the chicken category and the basic technique he did give to us a few years ago. He was the man behind LP Oue that just went off.

Jim

I know what you're talking about. Slaw tastes twice as good on day 2.
My sauce is made a few days before each comp. I think it's best between
day 2 through 10, then the vinegar bite seems to lessen.

Soaking the chicken in a pan full of sauce during the cook works well, no doubt. But personally I find the method kind of artificial -- like foiling. (This from a guy who fires his smoker with gas!). I always thought you got the best textured and tasting flesh by smoking, but the best textured and tasting skin by direct grilling. Of course, grilled skin can get a bit ugly.

You can get the best of all worlds by combining a few techniques: 1) Brine. 2) Smoke hot -- around 300 -- until internal of 155. 3) Remove and let slightly cool. 4) Place directly over medium-slow coals on grill. 5) Glaze with under-glaze or sauce using several coats on both sides, and turning frequently to prevent scorch or grill marks. 6) Apply finishing sauce, if necessary just before finish. 7) Cook to internal of 175. 8) Allow at least fifteen minutes rest in bowl covered with saran. (Not in a foam cooler. You want the temp to come down. Chicken tastes better warm than hot.)

Downside: You've got to schlepp a grill in addition to your smoker just for chicken. Of course lots of teams do just that. One reason you see so many WSMs along with big smokers is that teams use them just for chicken.

The process isn't going to get you "bite through" skin, but crisp, tight skin. The cooking process should make it delicate enough to stay with the piece for one or two judging bites. No method guarantees the skin will stay with the piece while the meat is gnawed off the bone. Maybe you can do it, I can't.

Besides, since all you guys are spatching anything that'll hold still long enough, I know you all gotta love grilled chicken.

If you really want "the best of both worlds," try smoking the chickenat 250 over a strong wood like oak 'til it hits an internal of 145 or so, then breading and frying it. Pass the biscuits, pass the Nehi, urrrrrrrrrrrrp!

I've tried that.

The weed burner is pretty hot. Got to be very careful.
When I'm out of charcoal I'll still cook a steak with
a weed burner though.

Iu use both methods a varition 20,20,20 for at home, and the "bath" method at comps. I think the fliping with out a bath gives you a crisper skin but uglier appearance, but the bath method works better for appearance scores at comps. I also seem to find that the chicken is a little juicer after a bath. The draw back with the bath method is trying to get the skin biteable. I've been able to do this pretty good so far but the skin isnt as tasty as the crisper flipping method. It's a trade off.

I've done it too, but with a regular plumbers' soldering torch -- the kind you use to brulee, finish salmon, or solder. You never know when you're going to have to repair the plumbing. It's a little easier to cotnrol than a weed burner. The torch isn't as good as a grill. Remember, you're not going for brown. You want about 10 or 15 minutes exposure to really get a good, transparent and lustrous glaze as well as crisp skin.

Back
Top Bottom