Coldest day of the year and I am smokin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill The Grill Guy said:
Okay you WSM owners, splain this. The top butts are at 170 and the bottom butts are at 156. WUZ up wit dat?

Before anyone asks, I used sand.

One has more fat than the other. Switch them around and the top ones will be 156 and the bottom ones will be 170. BTW, the top grate is hotter than the bottom grate.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":3g3ldf4g]Okay you WSM owners, splain this. The top butts are at 170 and the bottom butts are at 156. WUZ up wit dat?

Before anyone asks, I used sand.

One has more fat than the other. Switch them around and the top ones will be 156 and the bottom ones will be 170. BTW, the top grate is hotter than the bottom grate.[/quote:3g3ldf4g]

I heard that the bottom grate will be hotter. Go figure. I just put on some brats so when they come off, I will switch them around. I put one small and one large butt on each grate trying to keep them the same.

I am not a big believer in that radiant heat theory; that the bottom grate is hotter when you use sand. I would guess that your bottom grate temp and your top grate temp are within 10º of each other.

I have had cooks when they have actually been the same temp and then they separate and the top grate goes up a few more degrees.

If you're within cooking range of 225-250 don't sweat it...it's all good.

Bruce B said:
I am not a big believer in that radiant heat theory; that the bottom grate is hotter when you use sand. I would guess that your bottom grate temp and your top grate temp are within 10º of each other.

I have had cooks when they have actually been the same temp and then they separate and the top grate goes up a few more degrees.

If you're within cooking range of 225-250 don't sweat it...it's all good.

Ditto!

Those Butts look great. Hopefully you have a remote therm. I wouldnt want to be running out in that kind of temp. Are there going to be finished pics

Yeah, if these things ever get done. The top butts are at 181 and the bottom ones are at 167. I FEEL THE NEED TO FOIL.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Yeah, if these things ever get done. The top butts are at 181 and the bottom ones are at 167. I FEEL THE NEED TO FOIL.

sounds like the top one is only about 14 or so degrees away from fulfilling your need :LOL:

okay, got them done. Very impressed with the flavor of the chipolte slatherd butts. I can taste the mustard. If I was to chose, I would take the Swine Syndicate rub. GOOD STUFF. Thanks Wittdog.

So you cooked 4 butts, probably close to 28-30 lbs of meat, in cold weather, in 16 1/2 hours. I don't think that's bad at all. The two I did the other day took just under 15.

Great looking butts Bill.

Man, if I hadn't had a pulled pork sandwich just a couple of hours ago I would be boiling a bag after looking at that pic.

Where do you get this rub you speak of? :D

Back
Top Bottom