Cold weather WSM use - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Pork Butt

Wind is the biggest temperature killer on the WSM, well rain and wind is worse, but as a single factor I rate the wind the worst.

You might make yourself a two fold wind break, basically three sheets of ply hinged like a folding screen, if you make them long enough you can make a triangle out of it to surround your pit.

They only need to come level with the top of the lid, you don't need massive height.

If you can only open the vent away from the direct wind, that helps keep temperatures stable, as the cooker isn't having a pressurized air forced fire one moment, and not the next.

http://www.soezzy.com/

KCBS certified barbecue judge.
SoEzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Web Celeb

I have cooked in cold weather for years with the WSM...aside from a few more lit coals on start up I do nothing different. Works like a champ!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rempe
I have cooked in cold weather for years with the WSM...aside from a few more lit coals on start up I do nothing different. Works like a champ!
You fire up the WSM in the attic during the winter?
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #4

I've been using the WSM in Alaskan winters for about 5 years. I did an overnight brisket cook in the Frozen Few contest last year at -20* with no problem. You may need a little more charcoal. Like the other have said wind is the big problem.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
BBQ Centralite

Start in the WSM, get a smoke ring and flavor. Finish in the oven.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well us po white Texas oil field trash boys can't be affording no fancy WSM of course..we uses whuts called ECB's (El Cheapo Brinkmanns) which work on the same principle but not much air control cept for the size and number of holes in the firepan. Whut works great on those should also work on a WSM which is to invert a 55 gallon barrell over the top. Set the bottom of the barrell on some bricks or cinder blocks to hold it up off the ground and be able to draw air from the bottom and enable it to be able to set up taller than the cooker. I think them WSM's is fairly tall so it might take cinder blocks set up on end to raise it up enough. Drill some 1/8" holes about 2" around the solid end of the barrell make a complete ring of small holes..that just to keep rainwater from collecting and let out a little smoke. Also put some handles on the barrell...cuz it do get hot. Mount them just below the top ring of the barrell. When it is coming a tornado or blizzard just get your fire lit and water pan filled and set the barrell down over the top. It will be total unaffected by whut is going on around it. Fully double walled air insulated. When you get ready to stow the pit after the cook...remove the top grate and turn the lid upside down inside the pit. Put the barrell over the top. Makes a great place to store the cooker when you aint using it. An Aggie Injuneer taught me how to do it and he is still cooking on an ECB which is 35 years old. He gets his stoked up..puts on the meat..sits the barrell down over the pit and comes back tomorrow to find bbq. I guess with a WSM a person could fiddle with the vents or something. Choke em down to not draw much. Sorry this is so windy and redundant

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Start in the WSM, get a smoke ring and flavor. Finish in the oven.
Now you tell me! Ha!. I started some butts a week ago at 5am in a blizzard. I fought all day with my WSM losing temp (stable for the first few hours and then a losing battle). Shielding from the wind and adding lump helped. Once the wind died around 8pm, my temps soared and turned into a grill (400 degrees - decided to do some chicken breasts while pulling the pork). Luckily, I had foiled my butts and they finished quite nicely.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well us po white Texas oil field trash boys can't be affording no fancy WSM of course..we uses whuts called ECB's (El Cheapo Brinkmanns) which work on the same principle but not much air control cept for the size and number of holes in the firepan. Whut works great on those should also work on a WSM which is to invert a 55 gallon barrell over the top. Set the bottom of the barrell on some bricks or cinder blocks to hold it up off the ground and be able to draw air from the bottom and enable it to be able to set up taller than the cooker. I think them WSM's is fairly tall so it might take cinder blocks set up on end to raise it up enough. Drill some 1/8" holes about 2" around the solid end of the barrell make a complete ring of small holes..that just to keep rainwater from collecting and let out a little smoke. Also put some handles on the barrell...cuz it do get hot. Mount them just below the top ring of the barrell. When it is coming a tornado or blizzard just get your fire lit and water pan filled and set the barrell down over the top. It will be total unaffected by whut is going on around it. Fully double walled air insulated. When you get ready to stow the pit after the cook...remove the top grate and turn the lid upside down inside the pit. Put the barrell over the top. Makes a great place to store the cooker when you aint using it. An Aggie Injuneer taught me how to do it and he is still cooking on an ECB which is 35 years old. He gets his stoked up..puts on the meat..sits the barrell down over the pit and comes back tomorrow to find bbq. I guess with a WSM a person could fiddle with the vents or something. Choke em down to not draw much. Sorry this is so windy and redundant

bigwheel
I like the part about this holds up well in a tornado. I wonder how many of you have actually cooked within 10 miles of an actual tornado and decided to keep cooking and pop another beer or actually get your family and farm animals in the car and go for a drive until all clear.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
BBQ Centralite

You need to get the WSM Smoking Jacket!

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-BBQ-Guru-Silver ... .m20.l1116

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Baby Back

Hey Eric-

Where was the blizzard? BTW - the smoker jacket is awesome.

http://3eyzbbq.blogspot.com/
Dan - 3EyzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote