cold smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I'm toying with the idea of cold smoking for home-made bacon and cheeses and such.....OK....Alton Brown gave me the idea a few minutes ago ;) . Since I have a vertical smoker with inlets on the side, I'm thinking it would be as simple as creating a separate smoke box and joining them with some duct and a small fan. I could use wood chips in a pan over an electric heat element for smoke, then use a small fan to pull the smoke thru several feet of dryer duct to cool it, then into the bottom of my smoker. Has anyone tried anything like this here? What would be the best woods for bacon, fish or cheese?

I saw the same AB show tonight. I've made a lot of warm smoked bacon on my WSM. Don't have a clue about the cold smoked stuff. As to your question on wood, I think there's only one wood for bacon and that's hickory.

Griff

Griff said:
I saw the same AB show tonight. I've made a lot of warm smoked bacon on my WSM. Don't have a clue about the cold smoked stuff. As to your question on wood, I think there's only one wood for bacon and that's hickory.

Griff

So, share with us the bacon on the WSM process...

Az,

I've done a little cold smoker in a home box type smoker. A while back someone asked about pepperoni sticks.

Here is the second page of that thread. A few post down I did a post.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... orum=bbq4u

I did some bacon in my sausage maker smoker a year or so ago. It came out just ok. I left it in the bottom of the refrigerator for months. I decided I should throw it out. When I did it smelled fine but I still threw it out. I ask a fellow teacher whose Dad I bought the meat from about how long bacon last and she said if it didn't smell it was fine. They would make it in the Fall and wouldn't throw it out until maybe May if they still had some left.

Good Luck.

john pen said:
So, share with us the bacon on the WSM process...

Buckboard Bacon

I started with 8-9 pounds of meat which I cured in liquid in a plastic container in the frig for 14 days. The cure was:
0.5 package of Morton's Tender Qiuck (one half package equals one lb.)
1.5 cups of maple syrup
.5 cup of molasses
.5 gal of apple cider
.25 cup of coarse ground black pepper
I didn't have to add any water to cover the meat. I turned the meat every 3 or 4 days.

At the end of 14 days, I rinsed the meat multiple times in cold water and soaked it in cold water for 24 hours changing the water frequently. Then I patted the meat dry and rubbed to taste with more coarse black pepper. I let it set at room temperature until it got that glazed look (pellicle), about 1.5 hours. I smoked it at a dome temperature of 200 until the meat reached an internal temp of 140. This took about 5 hours with my weather conditions -- ~25 degrees and snowing. I started with 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals and never added any more. I used 5 fist sized chunks of hickory, 2 right off the bat and 3 later on. Then it was slice, fry, and vacuum pack the rest. I use boneless butt for buckboard bacon and loin for Canadian style.

Griff

Made a batch of that buckboard bacon about a year ago. Was good. Mine came out tasting a little closer to country ham that to bacon for some reason.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom