Cold Smoke question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
I've recently cold smoked some cheese (mozzarella) and the smoke flavor is real intense. I let it sit in the smoker for about 15 minutes with only 1 small chunk of wood (apple). Do i need to use oak&apple to smooth out the flavor? Ive noticed the store sells smoked cheese but most of it seems "smoked" with liquid smoke.

First it's not so much the amount of wood but you need a real clean fire. Second the choice of cheese also plays a roll. Mozzarella has a high water content compared to cheddar. When I smoke mozzarella I wrap it in cheese cloth to prevent it from oversmoking.

Thanks again Witt! Ill try that for sure. I have been setting chucks and charcaol...not so clean burn.

Hey Buck why dont you try the old Tejas redneck po folks method for smoked cheese. You take a bite of Velvetter then hold it in your mouth while taking a swig of liquid smoke. Much less labor intensive than building a fire etc. Also works on Cheese Whiz.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Hey Buck why dont you try the old Tejas redneck po folks method for smoked cheese. You take a bite of Velvetter then hold it in your mouth while taking a swig of liquid smoke. Much less labor intensive than building a fire etc. Also works on Cheese Whiz.

bigwheel

Then chase it with a shot of whiskey.

Griff said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Then chase it with a shot of whiskey.

Without a toe in it...... :roll: ;)

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Good God, That is so wrong on so many levels. Guess only in Texas. :LOL:
wittdog knows his stuff. I'd go with his advice. I have tried it in the past, but failed. Not a easy task till you figure it out.

Pigs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom