Cold Cold Comp Butt Practice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I decided go ahead and start doing some comp testing on BBQ Centrals comp pork. I picked a great day, it's 12* and I also realized I'm getting old. I head out the deck to light the coals in my normal shorts and t-shirt. After about 5 minutes I realize, IT'S COLD!!! Years ago it wouldn't have bothered me, guess that's what age does to you! It was a balmy 40* yesterday and I had planned on doing these overnight. Well I made the injection and went to the garage to get the butts from the fridge and to my surprise, they're not there! :shock: I yell inside to my wife, where are the butts and she replies, I put them in the freezer yesterday! :shock: Thank God I was in the garage where the cold beer is because I just about lost my mind!!!! Why? Why? Why? is all I could bring myself to say. So that's why I'm doing it in the freezing cold this morning.

So back to the butts. One is injected with a highly modified version of the injection recipe on the WR Site and the other is injected with a Top Szecret concoction that Finney created. Both are rubbed with WRO. They were approximately 7lbs each before injecting and are now easily 8.5lbs after injecting. Wood of choice is my favorite, Hickory!

WOW...a whole pound of gain with injection??!! NICE! I think I will try injecting some butts this spring to see what the deal is for me self :D

Greg Rempe said:
WOW...a whole pound of gain with injection??!! NICE! I think I will try injecting some butts this spring to see what the deal is for me self :D

yeah Greg. There's about 3 cups of injection in each batch and all of it went into each butt!!

Looking good there Larry ;)

Better watch how much stuff you put on top of the stove.
You might break something :shock:

Larry, go back to the garage and have a few more beers. That should help getting your blood to flow again! :LOL: Nice start to your cook, keep us posted.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Larry, I am off mon-thur. let me know what day you want me to come up for dinner. ;)
Bill come up any time!!! Too bad you can't make it up today to give me some championship advice!!

Nick Prochilo said:
Larry, go back to the garage and have a few more beers. That should help getting your blood to flow again! :LOL: Nice start to your cook, keep us posted.

Nick I just came back in from my hour on the bike. Yes I brought a beer in with me as well! :shock:

cleglue said:
Larry,

Is there a none secret butt injection formula that you can share?

Craig the one HERE is the one I'm using on one of the butts. If you like your pork a little on the sweet side this will work great. You can add more or less Wolfe Rub to your liking along with other ingredients to tweak it to your liking.

I've done alot of butts.....................................I've never had the bark look like as dry and as burnt marshmallows like these. But......................................this ended up being a very good thing. Both injections worked perfect and I'm very happy with the flavor from both!!! Can't wait for the team to give them a try and hear their results!

Back
Top Bottom