Cold Butt Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
19* out and I decided to use the WSM to cook a couple butts on to fill an order for pulled pork. I haven't cooked butts on the WSM since last Springs Smoke on the Beach. So I loaded it up with KF and Hickory chunks and firebricks in the fire pan which I've been using for the turkey cooks and they work fantastic. I've included a pic for you Cliff or anyone else who wants to see.

Do you notice a big difference in temps using the bricks instead of sand?
Butts are looking good.

Puff said:
Do you notice a big difference in temps using the bricks instead of sand?
Butts are looking good.

No difference really Puff, you just never have to worry about replacing the bricks like you would sand or spillage.

The Missing Link said:
Larry would bag of the lova rock do the samething?

Link they may work, but lava rocks aren't very dense so I think they wouldn't produce as much radiant heat.

Captain Morgan said:
Larry, when did you start doing this? You cover em with foil? Is there
enough concave area to hold grease?

I started doing it when I realized I was out of sand..... :LOL: Works the same and yes there is a concave for grease.

The Missing Link said:
Larry would bag of the lova rock do the samething?

That sounds like it would work great! If your using a guru, they tell you to put strips of foil in the pan to help disipate the heat. I'd bet the lava rock would work even better!

ScottyDaQ said:
I think I've replaced the sand in mine...once since I've had it. Now it's like glass. :LOL:

Mine ain't like glass in my other pan, but it sho is hard!!!!

Yeah, not really glass so much....more like a big round brick. It's covered with severals layers of foil before each cook.

Good looking grub Mr. Wolfe. (ohh, they're bricks). :LOL: ;)

How does your guys sand get like a brick...I just dumped the sand out of mine 3 weeks ago, that's been in there for just over two years and it was just like sand, not hardened at all.

Does your sand get wet in between cooks or are drippings getting into it? Just curious.

I've had some greeze leakage into the sand when the foil had a small rip in it. (I only use one layer.)

Scotty you must be cooking at some high temps to get sand to turn to glass :shock: :LOL:

Bruce B said:
How does your guys sand get like a brick...I just dumped the sand out of mine 3 weeks ago, that's been in there for just over two years and it was just like sand, not hardened at all.

Does your sand get wet in between cooks or are drippings getting into it? Just curious.

Bruce, mine is due to laziness.................I'll leave the foil and dripping in the pan until the next cook, then reheat the WSM to burn the nasties off. That's more than likely what causes the hardness. I'll take pic's tomorrow.

Butts are at 165*, it's getting late and the temps are dropping and.......................since the majority of these butts are being sold "per lb" I "Smalled" them! I have no dignity left! :cry: But I'm warm

I dunno Bruce.... I used the sand out of the basement floor in the apartment I used to live at. It was built on a stone foundation and was right next to the railroad junction. There was plenty of fine sand next to the fuel oil tank.

Why?
(B.S.)

Yeah...I suffer from Larry's disease too. (No...not that one.....or that one.... or that one....or...any of the others...Laziness). :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom