Close call evaded major burns...everyone needs to read! - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Pork Butt

Close call evaded major burns...everyone needs to read!

I have been working on smoking for a small chain of resturants in my area as alot of you know. Last night I have a large amount of meat in my custom offset reverse flow. Had everything cooking but had a hard time controlling my temps throughout the chamber firebox temp was running normal to low but left side opposite stacks and firebox was running very hot for some reason. I had just figured it was 90 plus degrees and windy out and it was just playing hell on my air flow. Had 20 large brisket flats and 10 pork butts cooking at the time. About 6 hrs into the cook I look out at my smoker and I am chucking smoke from everywhere on the unit. Thick dark smoke. I went out and had a huge grease fire due to the amout of fat running off of the meat and my failure to open my drain valve. With all the fat not going out it made its way over the lip of the reverse flow and got under it and headed to the firebox. I in the heat of the moment closed all the vents trying to snuff the fire out. Didnt work. So fire extinguish time was at hand. So what did I do? Stupidly I opened the left side chamber door! Can we say BACKDRAFT? Fireball hurled out at me at face level burning my left arm and burning hair. I was more than lucky. I had someone on my shoulder yesterday. To all that love what we do, we ALWAYS have to do this with caution. My senses are now going to be alot sharper to what my unit is doing and the dangers that exist when working with this will ALWAYS be on my mind. Today I am working on cleaning out my unit, dealing with the loss of over 600 dollars worth of product and thanking God that I am home safe with my family and not in a burn unit dealing with major skin grafting and all the pain that it could have caused. I will continue to do what we love to do, but will stick with the smaller work from now on. I hope this post will put this in the back of everyones mind so that this type of possible tragedy will not happen to any of my fellow smokers.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Close call evaded major burns...everyone needs to read!

Thanks for sharing a hard learned lesson. Had this happen to me on a smaller scale with a conventional old log burner one time. Had it tilted slightly too high in the front so all the grease from 10 briskets puddle up downhill on the firebox end as opposed to going to the drainhole end. On that occasion just shut off all the air and waited a bit and it calmed right down. Only lost one brisket to the crispy critter type configuration. Not sure why it didnt work for you. The pit must be intaking from exotic locations.

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Damn Hawk, you better go play the lottery cause you have some luck going on! Glad all worked out okay ... other then the - $600
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Baby Back

Im glad to hear ur ok... im a beginner at this whole smoking thing and I love it. Thanks for sharing this with is too keep us all aware of dangers that come with smoking.
BOSTN BEANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Pork Butt

Back at it today. Using small smoker tho. To much work to do to wait to finish clean up of my large beast. Grad party , Farmers market and some friends moving needing to feed about 30. Hated to go on without my main stay but gotta do it. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of the dangers of the hobby we love. Little bit of pain today from the burns but all in all pretty lucky. Just like riding a bike once you fall off you get up take off again. lol
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #6

Yikes.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Your lucky! Check out these clowns,
http://youtu.be/gwAZi4wLaZQ
FAIL! Too stupid to grab something to slam the doors shut.
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
BBQ Central College

Wow man Glad you ok for the most part, sounds like that could have been alot worse, seems like you learned alot from this and thank you for making us take note aswell
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
Cooker

Well that really sux but you didn't really sustain any major injuries which is great.

22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, 22.5 Weber OTG
ChuckBBQSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Cooker

Glad to here your ok, our prayers is with you