Chuck Roll Advice Needed - Cook Pics Added!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Ok Guys and Gals.... I need help

I am cooking butts in a couple of days (yes.. all the product from the big butt cook is GONE) and I decided to pick up a Chuck Roll and try it. I have never done one of these before.

It weighs in at roughly 21 lbs... I was planning to throw it on with the butts that will cook at 250 degrees. I am looking for pulled beef when I am done... to what temps should I cook it to? Foil?

Thanks

According to Chris over at VWBB, it can be done in the WSM. Check out: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroll.html

That was a huge chuck roll. If it were me, I'd be chopping that sucker into 4-5 smaller hunks. I've done chuck roasts and chuck rolls and I usually foil @ 165. But a lot of people won't foil. Take it to 200-205 for shredded/pulled beef. Be careful, chuck rolls take ~3 hours per lb. Another reason to chop that sucker into smaller roasts, you'll be cooking it for a week.

Gary,
Cut it up 3 equal pieces, rub and cook as you would a butt. At 165º foil and continue to cook until it hits 195º. At that point 'check' for doneness by sticking a fork in it and give it a twist, continue to do this every 5º until it passes the fork twist test. Once they do, let them rest for at least a couple hour, they really need the rest in my opinion. Then pull as you would a butt. The meat on the chucks is stringy and veiny and it will take a little longer to pull than a butt and you may have to run a knife across the pulled meat as to not to have long stringy pieces. However, shredded chuck is worth every bit of the effort and time it takes to cook in my opinion!

I've heard about the 3hr lb rule but have never had one take that long.

Here's a recent 8.5lber.

img_155250_0_35fd68e5c81b06e3466eff4904bc2809.jpg
img_155250_1_d26cef328c866702d1db9291073fdab5.jpg
img_155250_2_bcf3ba54295762591afbd89ef2b2c3ed.jpg
img_155250_3_29e8cc8485500f1ca5d5e0fe7ee255b1.jpg
img_155250_4_f265a6a5b3962b51bf46f06e11c822f1.jpg

I've cooked them on the WSM and left them whole... but that takes a looooooonnnnnnnggggg time. If no one will be around to see the 'big chuck', cut it into pieces the size of your butts. It cooks just like a butt... don't foil it.
Size only matters if someone else gets to see it. LOL

Finney said:
I've cooked them on the WSM and left them whole... but that takes a looooooonnnnnnnggggg time. If no one will be around to see the 'big chuck', cut it into pieces the size of your butts. It cooks just like a butt... don't foil it.
Size only matters if someone else gets to see it. LOL

The problem with keeping them whole vs. cutting them into smaller pieces is you lose alot of bark coverage and a 21lb hunk of meat is a handful to be foiling etc......

In my opinion chucks do not cook anything like a butt and foiling greatly benefits the finished product.

The Chucker is on... I cut it into 3 pieces... I really wanted to do the thing whole, but I didn't want it to be too far behind the butts. Cooker is running at 250 steady with a load of cherry wood.

I only did 2 cases of butts today 147 lbs... so it should be an easy day.

Will post pics later!

wow....rolls are boneless aren't they? seems like a lot of fat and tissue loss. Of course, I think the price you charge for bbq beef could be pretty high as well, but I was thinking you'd get a little bit better yield.

Captain Morgan said:
wow....rolls are boneless aren't they? seems like a lot of fat and tissue loss. Of course, I think the price you charge for bbq beef could be pretty high as well, but I was thinking you'd get a little bit better yield.

I got like 58% yield... what is shown in the pan was not all of it... anyway... I foiled a little late... I didn't get the foil on until like 175-178 (I was working and not watching the temps and I forgot to set the temp alarm)... I think next time I will foil a little sooner.. maybe even at 165 to try and retain some of the juice.

I could sell that stuff no problem.. I bagged up a few 2 lb bags. I may give some to some customers as teasers...

I get $8.00 per pound for pork... cost per cooked lb is 2.15 - 2.25
I get $9.25 per pound for brisket.... cost per cooked lb is 4.29 - 4.59
I am thinking maybe $8.75 for chuck... cost per cooked lb is 3.65 - 3.70

I know.. my beef prices may be a little low, but friends and family buy that stuff left and right and It gets me more full service business than I can shake a stick at.. which is where the $$ is

Back
Top Bottom