Chuck N' Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To tell the truth, I have never cooked either until today. I started at 7:00am and to my disbelief the little 2.75lb chuck roast took 11hrs to get to 200 deg. I seasoned it like I was preparing to loose a lot of it from run off. There wasn't much run off so the seasoning really soaked in there and came out very strong. " Learning Curve" :)

The butt was unlike anything I have had before. I am still forming an opinion. I went heavy on the Wolfe Rub, Larry will be happy to know that now I have to buy some more. :D The tast was very good.

I am not sure about the greasy part. :eek:

I am not sure about my pulling technique either. I started with two forks but seemed to get thru quicker just seperating fat from meat by feel. I will probably not use pans next time just to see if there is any noticable difference.

When I have ordered pulled pork in bbq joints it seems that the pork has no fat at all and dry.

I guess I was expecting butts to be the same. " Another Learning Curve"

Cliff H. said:
... I am not sure about my pulling technique either. I started with two forks but seemed to get thru quicker just seperating fat from meat by feel. ...
Cliff, do you mean that there were still fat pockets or fat balls in the meat? What was the temp of the butt when you pulled it and how long did you let it rest?

To answer your ? Joker, I pulled the butt at 190 and rested it for two hours in a cooler. There was a good yield from the butt. One small ball of fat, a few small pockets here and there. There was a 1/4" layer off fat that made up the bottom that could have been trimmed.

I like the taste and the texture of the meat. I think I am one of those who will use apple juice and cider vinegar to cut down on the greasy feel of the meat.

Cliff H. said:
To answer your ? Joker, I pulled the butt at 190 and rested it for two hours in a cooler. There was a good yield from the butt. One small ball of fat, a few small pockets here and there. There was a 1/4" layer off fat that made up the bottom that could have been trimmed.
You'll probably get a mixed view here but here's mine. :( But 1st, I reread the whole thread and saw that this was your 1st attempt, so, my question about how you like the panned butt over that cooked on a grate... :) :) I like to take my butts to 200 - 205º but will settle for 195º. I cook them at around 220º and always have a moist product and never have any fat remnants left over. I've never foiled butts but I do have an opinion about it.. :) I only foil ribs and flats.

Of course, that's just my 2¢.

The Joker said:
[quote="Cliff H.":216oq038]To answer your ? Joker, I pulled the butt at 190 and rested it for two hours in a cooler. There was a good yield from the butt. One small ball of fat, a few small pockets here and there. There was a 1/4" layer off fat that made up the bottom that could have been trimmed.
You'll probably get a mixed view here but here's mine. :( But 1st, I reread the whole thread and saw that this was your 1st attempt, so, my question about how you like the panned butt over that cooked on a grate... :) :) I like to take my butts to 200 - 205º but will settle for 195º. I cook them at around 220º and always have a moist product and never have any fat remnants left over. I've never foiled butts but I do have an opinion about it.. :) I only foil ribs and flats.

Of course, that's just my 2¢.[/quote:216oq038]
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I always rest the butts for a minimum of 2 hours and shoot for 4 hours before pulling. Resting is a must. :(

Thanks for your input Joker. The only real issue I had was that while I was pulling the meat apart I could FEEL the Cholesterol. :eek:

Next time I will cook a little longer. :!:

Cliff H. said:
There wasn't much run off so the seasoning really soaked in there and came out very strong.

I don't think you over seasoned the meat. What happened was by cooking it in the pan, the fat and seasoning had no place to go but back into the meat and through the cooking/evaporation process they became concentrated, thus leaving the strong flavor.

The butt was unlike anything I have had before. I am still forming an opinion. I went heavy on the Wolfe Rub, Larry will be happy to know that now I have to buy some more. :D The tast was very good.

I'm glad you like the Wolfe Rub Cliff!! And yes I'm happy you'll be ordering more!! :D

I am not sure about the greasy part. :eek:

I'd blame the greasy part on the pans again. Butts are full of fat and in my opinion there's no reason to cook them in a pan or to foil them in the cooking process. You want the fat to slowly render out of the meat and there's enough fat in butts that it would be extremely hard to dry one out. Cook your next one on the grate and foil when it hits 195* and let it rest. You'll end up with a very moist product but not a greasy product. When you cook them in a pan or foil them all they're doing is boiling in fat, thus leaving you greasy meat.

I will probably not use pans next time just to see if there is any noticable difference.

Great idea!!

Overall Cliff, you did a fantastic job. I only wish my first pulled pork and chuck turned out as good as yours did! What till you make a sandwich today, I guarantee you like it better today than you did yesterday. BBQ always tastes better the next day, than it does the same day you've slaved over the pit cooking it!

Well, welcome aboard SisterBea. Nice to have another woman on here. :(

looks great cliff-- i needs to gets me some butts this week!! won't do another chuck for a long while, but yours looks good!

Welcome cliff's mom!

Re: Puff's picture

sisterbea said:
Oh Puff, I love the picture by your name!!!! I put a barrett in one of those outlets one time. I never told my folks. HA!!! I just knocked it out and got a buzz!!!
I'm sure i've done that a few times myself :!:
Welcome Sista' B :!:

Back
Top Bottom