chuck and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I was thinking of doing a chuck roast along with fish this weekend do you guys have any advice on how either. I have never done them before.

thanks,
Chris

Nick i was planing to smoke the fish. Maybe salmon, catfish, cod, flonder or what ever they have.

Chris

Chris. Deputnrc gave me a little recipe to use with Salmon.
Coat with a 50/50 mixture of honey&pure maple syrup, sprinkle with any kind of rub (I used Wolfe Rub), and smoke at 225 till it flakes off with a fork.
I'm not a big fish fan. But I made it for the wife & she loved it :!:

Chris pick a fatty fish.......salmon, bluefish, mackeral, etc. Then find a simple brined to throw them into.

The chuck, I find the big roasts are best vs. chuck roll. Look for one in the 8-10 range, rub with your favorite rub and cook in the smoke until your internal temps reach between 160-165*. Then wrap in foil and continue to cook to the 200-205* internal temp range. Then let them rest in a cooler for at least a couple hours, 3-4 is even better. This to me in a critical part in getting a good tender, moist, pullable roast. Here's some pic's of a couple I did right before I got rid of my Gator "LuLu".

Puff said:
Coat with a 50/50 mixture of honey&pure maple syrup, sprinkle with any kind of rub (I used Wolfe Rub), and smoke at 225 till it flakes off with a fork.

So, we're talking no brine ? Aprox how long did it take ?

john pen said:
Puff said:

So, we're talking no brine ? Aprox how long did it take ?
No brine, it was a small filet. It took aprox. 3 hrs. It was very moist, I don't eat fish, the wife said it was perfect :!:

Larry about how long did it to do those roasts and also is it possible to cook it less time and slice it? If you do it that way will it be too tuff to eat.

chris1237 said:
Larry about how long did it to do those roasts and also is it possible to cook it less time and slice it? If you do it that way will it be too tuff to eat.

Chris I don't recall exactly how long they took but usually figure about 1.5hrs per lb. If you want to slice a roast try a top or bottom round roast. They're very lean so you don't want to over cook them. Smoke until you get to within 10 degrees or so of your desired finished temp and them sear on a hot grill to get that great bark on the outside. Here's a Top Round cook if you consider doing one.
http://img163.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 2529p.smil

Thanks for the advice guys was going try the stuff this weekend but got a lot going on and could not find any good meat so might do it next weekend.

Thanks,
Chris

chris1237 said:
Thanks for the advice guys was going try the stuff this weekend but got a lot going on and could not find any good meat so might do it next weekend.

Thanks,
Chris
Good luck, let us know how it comes out :!:

Puff said:
chris1237 said:

Thanks,
Chris

Will do. I will make sure to take pictures. Cant wait to try the chuck. Aint to much of a fish person doing that for my mom and grandmom.

Chris

chris1237 said:
Puff said:
chris1237 said:

Thanks,
Chris

Will do. I will make sure to take pictures. Cant wait to try the chuck. Aint to much of a fish person doing that for my mom and grandmom.

Chris
I'm not a fish guy either. I cook it for the wife :!:
Good luck :!:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom