Chicken questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shootthebunnies

Assistant Cook
I am going to put some chicken quarters on the ECB for supper this evening. I plan on pulling them for sandwiches. I am going to inject them with a homemade sauce to get the flavor throughout and put a rub on at the end. Going to use a mix of cherry and hickory wood.

Questions are

1. How long and how high of heat should I cook them?

2. Skin off or on?

If you have any other advice on chicken please send it my way!

Here is the rub
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Here is the sauce recipe
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup molasses
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic pepper blend
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon celery salt

Thanks in advance
Willis

I defer to the experts, but it sounds like it will be wonderful. My guess is 350° + or -, an hour or less (I usually go by temperature 165° not time) and in my house skin on.

I agree skin on, gonna keep em moist. Although my first few ribs attempts were less than ok my chicken attempts were fantastic. I did whole chickens, I wouldnt think it would be too different. I started the wsm with a chimney full of lit charcoal, dumped it in and let it go as hot as it would get, vents all open all the way. Doneness by temp, not time.......enjoy.

Ok so my chicken did not fair so well. The wife wanted the skin off so that is what I did. They dried out pretty bad. They were getting pulled anyway for sandwiches so I just sauced the meat and threw it into the crock pot and basically saved it.

Had I not planned that originally I think inedible would have been the proper word. :cry:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom