Chicken Halves Rubbed and Smoked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After seeing some beautiful birds cooked this week I decided to throw one on. Halved a whole fryer and smoked it with some hickory @ 225-250 for about 3-3 1/2 hours.

McCormick Montreal Chicken on the left and S&P on the right :

chickrubbed.jpg

About two hours in:

chic15hrs.jpg

Cooling on the platter S&P on left rub on right:

chickdone.jpg

I found the McCormick Montreal Chicken rub to be pretty good. It reminds me of a chicken you would have on a Sunday afternoon at Grandmas house. Highly seasoned mix were the salt,garlic and parsley really gave it that down home taste. No heat at all. Great for getting away from the typical bbq flavors in many rubs for a nice change of pace. :D

Looks very good. Thanks for the repoat on the Montreal Chicken spice. I had some of that stuff but it been years back. Seems like the aromatics may have been a little overpowering for my taste buds. I know for some reason it lasted a real long time:) Try this sometime if you aint already. Chef Purdhommes Poultry Magic mixed 50/50 with Lawry's Lemon Peppa. I like to give em an overnight rub and soak in Eyetalian Dressing prior to applying the rub..and be sure to get the rub under the skin. Never did a chicken thataway but I intend to one of these days. Sure works well on Turkey and think they are purty close kin to chickens. Got that tip right off here I think. Thanks to whoever gave it.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks very good. Thanks for the repoat on the Montreal Chicken spice. I had some of that stuff but it been years back. Seems like the aromatics may have been a little overpowering for my taste buds. I know for some reason it lasted a real long time:) Try this sometime if you aint already. Chef Purdhommes Poultry Magic mixed 50/50 with Lawry's Lemon Peppa. I like to give em an overnight rub and soak in Eyetalian Dressing prior to applying the rub..and be sure to get the rub under the skin. Never did a chicken thataway but I intend to one of these days. Sure works well on Turkey and think they are purty close kin to chickens. Got that tip right off here I think. Thanks to whoever gave it.

bigwheel

RTB, that looked great and I feel the same way about the Montreal Chicken!

Bigwheel, which way did you do it?

Well on the Turkey I just rubbed it down with cheap Eyetalian Dressing from Albertsons over and under the skin and then did the same with half handfuls of Bayou Magic and Lemon Peppa. Bagged it up with the remainder of the dressing and let it set overnight. Next day gave another light dusting of the rub combo and cooked it face down on the electric Brinkmann till it hit 175 in the thigh. Used pecan branches..few hickory and mesquite chunks for smoke. Mighty scrumptious..and I dont even like turkey.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

RTB, that looked great and I feel the same way about the Montreal Chicken!

Bigwheel, which way did you do it?

Back
Top Bottom