Chicken Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I grilled some chicken breast this evening. They usually come out good but since I decided to use a thermometer like I do for my BBQ they don't seem to do as well. I think I usually cook them hotter.

What temperture do you take chicken breast to? Thighs are 180. I took the breast to 176 and they were on the dry side.

I had brined them also. Besides being alittle dry they tasted good. I rub with mustard and Wolfe rub. I glazed them with a homemade BBQ sauce.

cleglue said:
I grilled some chicken breast this evening. They usually come out good but since I decided to use a thermometer like I do for my BBQ they don't seem to do as well. I think I usually cook them hotter.

What temperture do you take chicken breast to? Thighs are 180. I took the breast to 176 and they were on the dry side.

I had brined them also. Besides being alittle dry they tasted good. I rub with mustard and Wolfe rub. I glazed them with a homemade BBQ sauce.

Craig they certainly look good! I pull my chicken breasts off the cooker when they get between 165*- 170* and the legs and thighs when they get between 173*- 175*. I think if you leave it on the cooker any longer they over cook and end up on the dry side.

wdroller said:
I cook chicken breasts almost exclusively, but I do it on a gasser now. Did it your way several years. I do not take the breast meat beyond 170 and sometimes less if I know it will rest a while before we eat. I preheat to 500*, throw them on bone side down, cut the heat to 350 and let them cook for 25 minutes. Then I turn for 10 minutes. Then I put the Q sauce on for five, turn and Q sauce the second side. That's for large chicken breasts. You can adjust the time with sauce based upon how much sugar is in the product you use.

I buy several packages of breast at one time, and I seperate them by size, and I adjust the above cooking times based on size. The first thing I noticed from your picturtes is that you have three distinct sizes--they won't cook at the same rate, you know. Either "size" your pieces or put them on at different times. Also, when I do cook chicken parts, I do not put the legs, and wings, and thighs, and breasts on at the same time.

When the USDA says poultry should be taken to 180, I think they are talking about a roasted turkey or whole chicken and they are taking the temp in the thickest part of the thigh. Most of us probably miss that point when we insert the thermometer.

Hope this helps.

I agree Wd...I think the govt is worried about whole birds being done
in all parts, so they suggest a temp higher than is necessary. I'll eat
chicken at 160.

wdroller said:
I cook chicken breasts almost exclusively, but I do it on a gasser now. Did it your way several years. I do not take the breast meat beyond 170 and sometimes less if I know it will rest a while before we eat. I preheat to 500*, throw them on bone side down, cut the heat to 350 and let them cook for 25 minutes. Then I turn for 10 minutes. Then I put the Q sauce on for five, turn and Q sauce the second side. That's for large chicken breasts. You can adjust the time with sauce based upon how much sugar is in the product you use.

I buy several packages of breast at one time, and I seperate them by size, and I adjust the above cooking times based on size. The first thing I noticed from your picturtes is that you have three distinct sizes--they won't cook at the same rate, you know. Either "size" your pieces or put them on at different times. Also, when I do cook chicken parts, I do not put the legs, and wings, and thighs, and breasts on at the same time.

When the USDA says poultry should be taken to 180, I think they are talking about a roasted turkey or whole chicken and they are taking the temp in the thickest part of the thigh. Most of us probably miss that point when we insert the thermometer.

Hope this helps.

I agree Wd...I think the govt is worried about whole birds being done
in all parts, so they suggest a temp higher than is necessary. I'll eat
chicken at 160.

The minimum oven temperature to use when cooking chicken is 325 degrees F. Using a food thermometer is the only sure way of knowing if your food has reached a high enough temperature to destroy foodborne bacteria. All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F as measured with a food thermometer. A whole chicken must reach a minimum internal temperature of 165 F throughout the bird. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook poultry to higher temperatures. (This is from the USDA site)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom