Chicken & Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
In an effort to get some decent chicken I am putting on more thighs and ribs today.

I am sooo sick of chicken.

However I am determined I will decent chicken thighs by the end of the week.

Post more pics later.

Diva Q said:
In an effort to get some decent chicken I am putting on more thighs and ribs today.

Post more pics later.

You wanna share your process with the chicken? You cooking on the WSM or Traeger?

Diva Q said:

Post more pics later.

We had a church BBQ a while back. I was busy running sound But I did have some time to check out what the guys were doin. They had chicken 1/4s rubbed with Tonys Then slaped on a trailer type BBQ pit right over the coals till the skin started to crisp up/brown Then they moved em away from the direct heat to finish em & brushed with sauce. They was some of the best chicken Q I have ever had. total cookin time maybe 2 hours. They about cooked 50 whole birds cut in 1/4s. I tried it at home & it didn't taste the same, I think It was the smoke from all that chicken fat drippin in the pit that made em taste so good. They did not use wood at all. & the charcoal was royal oak.

Diva Q said:

You must be puttin' some strain on the food budget this week, Diva! :shock:

When I was stocking up on Royal Oak at the roofing supply warehouse the other day, the guy at the counter started asking me about grilling and smoking. He had never considered smoking but thought it sounded like a great idea. I told him, "Get yourself a smoker and you'll be amazed at how much meat you buy." ;)

--John 8)
(Thanks for the roofing supply tips, Brian J and Larry. :D )

John I am spending more now than I have ever spent on groceries. Almost very night we are either practicing a meat a side dish a sauce or a presentation style for the Barrie comp.

Well ribs are done now too. I am really pleased with the sauce I worked on. It will be used in the Paris/Ottawa/Barrie comps for sure.

I wasn't that impressed with the skin. It needed more air drying time.

Work in progress. . . . . . . .

I like it. Nice color. Is there a grilling step (direct heat) somewhere during the process....towards the end maybe? That's what I do...over med coals....just enough to crisp it up after the sauce.....then a REAL light brush of thin sauce.

Finney said:
ScottyDaQ said:
I like it. Nice color. Is there a grilling step (direct heat) somewhere during the process....towards the end maybe? That's what I do...over med coals....just enough to crisp it up after the sauce.....then a REAL light brush of thin sauce.

That would sound better coming from Nick. ;)

[smilie=banana.gif] [smilie=muffin.gif] [smilie=orange.gif]

I had left the alder in it. Typically though I prefer cherry with ribs and hickory with chicken.

I think if there is a downfall to the Traeger its that it is a pain to chain over pellets if you have left too many in.

I was practicing my dessert the day before and loaded too much alder in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom