Chevapchichi recipie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

92hatchattack

Senior Cook
Hey guys, im looking for anyone that may have a good chevapchichi recipie. It is a Serbian specialy that my friends dad used to make but doesnt anymore, and the recipie seems to be missing. All i really know is that they are abeef/pork mixure with seasoning, but dont know any ratios are which seasonings.

All i know was that these things were simple, yet the best when dipped in some good old BBQ sause.

So have anyone here heard of these or know how to make them?

entree4.jpg

This is one I found. sounds good to me....

Chevapchichi Recipe

Ingredients:
1 kilogram ground meat
4 Garlic cloves; finally chopped
1 ts salt
1 ts baking soda
2 ts freshly ground black pepper
1 ts cayenne pepper; or more seasoned pepper and garlic pepper
1 egg white; beaten

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients; blend well. Form into finger shaped sausages about 3/4" thick and 4" long.
Cook slowly until well browned on a charcoal grill.
Turn sausages often.
Sausages should be brown on the outside. According to tradition, these sausages are served on a bed of chopped onions, with tiny hot pebbers, mixed vegetables and bread.

Here is the recipe I have. I have 2 Bosnian friends who eat these all the time and yet I haven't made them yet..

You might have better luck w/ the spelling: Cevapcici
In the Croatian/Serbian languages they don't do Ch they have accented c character. The baking soda and egg don't sound authentic to me but I could be mistaken.

If you try it let me know, I think I might make some soon too now.

1 # ground lamb
3 tbs hot Hungarian paprika or sweet if you don't want it hot
1 # ground veal
1 # ground pork
1 large yellow onion peeled and grated (use a food processor)
2 tbs freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
3 cloves fesh garlic peeled and crushed
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Olive oil for basting

Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, thoroughly and roll the mixture into little "cigars" about 1 by 3 inched. Rub lightly with olive oil and grill or broil until done. Serve with yogurt sauce.

1 pint plain yogurt
juice of one lemon
1/2 cucumber, peeled, grated and drained one hour
2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and white pepper to taste.

It seems as theres lots of diffrent recipe combinations used for this same dish. I guess this is why my friends tell me that they all taste diffrent from diffrent places.

Sounds like ill be taking all these ingrediants and trying diffrent combinations to find what tastes good to me. Than ks for the help so far guys.

Make sure you update us with your findings, I will start doing some too and let you know how they turn out. I have two expert taste testers hehe.

They vary a lot from region to region. My husband is Macedonian. We have had them with lamb pork beef etc and a whole bunch of different spices. Here are some that I grilled last week for dinner. We get them from a small Macedonian butcher shop.
img_188218_0_217283baacaa4522159ac3ba53a69938.jpg

So i tried some very simple ones yesterday. Just used ground pork and beef 50/50 with some black pepper. The consistancy seemed right but i think too me it had a little too much pork for my taste. I think maybe something like 60/40 may be just right. The other problem was that they were pretty blan on their own, but this diddnt really matter when i started dipping them into some BBQ sause (these are great just dipped into some sause)

Anyone have some suggestions as too what spices they think i should try in there? Definatly needs to be spiced up enough so they have some taste without the sauce.

Now that recipe looks plausible to me. Got it copied. Thanks. Now just wondering it that yogurt dipping sauce might supposed to have the yogurt drained through cheese cloth and a collander overnight to get some of the moisture out of it? Most yogurt/cucumber combos I have seen (mostly Middle Eastern) calls for that step. Nearly ghuarontee a person could replace the veal with pork and nobody would ever know the difference.

bigwheel

Gomer said:
Here is the recipe I have. I have 2 Bosnian friends who eat these all the time and yet I haven't made them yet..

You might have better luck w/ the spelling: Cevapcici
In the Croatian/Serbian languages they don't do Ch they have accented c character. The baking soda and egg don't sound authentic to me but I could be mistaken.

If you try it let me know, I think I might make some soon too now.

1 # ground lamb
3 tbs hot Hungarian paprika or sweet if you don't want it hot
1 # ground veal
1 # ground pork
1 large yellow onion peeled and grated (use a food processor)
2 tbs freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
3 cloves fesh garlic peeled and crushed
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Olive oil for basting

Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, thoroughly and roll the mixture into little "cigars" about 1 by 3 inched. Rub lightly with olive oil and grill or broil until done. Serve with yogurt sauce.

1 pint plain yogurt
juice of one lemon
1/2 cucumber, peeled, grated and drained one hour
2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
Salt and white pepper to taste.

Diva Q said:
a lot of times vegeta is used in them.

Yea, Vegeta is a pretty big staple in their cooking.

bigwheel: I am really not sure about the yogurt sauce, I will try and find something out from my friends.

Back
Top Bottom