Cherry Smoked Spare Ribs and Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokemaster

Senior Cook
Last nights prep.

Rubbed with
Southern Succor Pork Rub

1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cayenne

Started cooking at 0900. Had problems getting the wood burning. Started with 3/4 full chimney of lump, then added 2 large pieces of oak. Next time I'll use smaller pieces.

I have a new charcoal grate. I was losing too much charcoal through the other grate

Everything is going well. temps have settled.

Cooking with wood is damned hard. Really have to manage the fire. Being only my second smoke with just wood I must say I'm satisfied. Next time will be only with lump.

The pork butt is still in the smoker, internal temp is 164F, smoker temp is 234F.

Nice smoke ring on the ribs. 3-1-1 method give the best texture for me.

kimmal said:
Looks good smokemaster. How did you find the Succor rub. I've used it a couple of times on a pork leg butt and a shoulder. Reviews were good, but it is a little peppery.

It is a bit spicy but my sauce compliments the flavor.

ScottyDaQ said:
Looks great! Makes me wanna take the shovel to my deck so I can find the WSM.

I missread this post the first time I thought you wrote, "Looks great! Makes me wanna take the shovel to my desk so I can find the WSM". I was going to say I used to have a desk like that but I never had a WSM on it too!

Larry D. said:
[quote="007bond-jb":15xo4yz8]Them ribs look great. question, your avitar is it from star trek?
Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote:15xo4yz8]

And the episode name was??????????? If you know this you are really a Star Trek freak, not that I am, I just happen to know it.

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry D.":2uipe45l][quote="007bond-jb":2uipe45l]Them ribs look great. question, your avitar is it from star trek?
Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote:2uipe45l]

And the episode name was??????????? If you know this you are really a Star Trek freak, not that I am, I just happen to know it.[/quote:2uipe45l]

Your just a freak!

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry D.":2riq6sfh][quote="007bond-jb":2riq6sfh]Them ribs look great. question, your avitar is it from star trek?
Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote:2riq6sfh]

And the episode name was??????????? If you know this you are really a Star Trek freak, not that I am, I just happen to know it.[/quote:2riq6sfh]

I believe old Harry first showed up in an episode called "Mudd's Women". But the costume he's wearing in the avatar makes me suspect it's from "I, Mudd".

No, I do have a life. I did a Google image search on "Harry Mudd" to make sure I was right about who the avatar was, and ran across a list of episodes with the photos from them... I recognized Harry, but couldn't have told you either episode name if you threatened to take away my WSM. :D

I think the episode the picture was taken from was Mudd's Women!

And before I get branded an inveterate trekie, I Googled it!

Bruce B said:
[quote="Larry D.":1w9o82m7][quote="007bond-jb":1w9o82m7]Them ribs look great. question, your avitar is it from star trek?
Harcourt Fenton "Harry" Mudd, if I'm not mistaken.[/quote:1w9o82m7]

And the episode name was??????????? If you know this you are really a Star Trek freak, not that I am, I just happen to know it.[/quote:1w9o82m7]

THIS IS A COOKING SECTION !
[smilie=offtopic.gif]

and there was more than one episode with Mudd.
y_nerd.gif

SoEzzy said:
I think the episode the picture was taken from was Mudd's Women!

And before I get branded an inveterate trekie, I Googled it!

Close, but no cigar. His military style costume looks like a scene from "I, Mudd".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom