Charcoal v. Natural Wood Charcoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianburns77

Assistant Cook
Maybe i'm just crazy but it seems that Charcoal does not get as hot as natural charcoal? All I had was kingsford and it sucked. Any advice?

Thanks!

I used lump only, until there was a half-price sale on Stubbs briquettes earlier in the year. When I run out of the Stubbs, it will be back to lump. I do wish I could find a cheaper source for it, though. A local restaurant supply used to sell Nature-Glo (Royal Oak in a different bag) for about $8 for 20 pounds. That price has almost doubled - Royal Oak from Wal-Mart is the best deal I can find now.

I always find Stubbs at Home Depot and Lowe's. Check there first then try some other smaller stores. Costco and Sam's club carry Kingsford Competition lump. maybe give that a try. Hope this helps.
J

Go visit a pal who has a Mom n Pop C Store or restaurant. Get him to order you some from his wholesale grocery distributor. Sysco and Ben E. Keith are the big boys down here. They have mesquite lump from Mejico for around 12 bucks in 40 lb. bags. Will not work in R2D2 gizmos cuz the chunks are too big. Good far larger pits..grills etc. If you live in a hick town you can also buy through the jail..schools..horspitals etc.

I recently switched to The Good One lump from Kingsford briquettes and it's the best move I've ever made. Theres less ash and it smells a whole lot better when burning.

I've only seen it at a couple of local BBQ specialty shops. Only other place to look for places that carry it would be on the website. It's from the manufacturers of The Good One Smokers.

Back
Top Bottom